What age can girls get braces

My daughter really wants braces and I looked but I've seen many different comments.please answer.shes only nine

Asked by Saphiremarie116 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• If and when an orthodontist recommends it.

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I *think* she has to have all of her adult teeth, or else what would be the point? Call a Dentist, they wont charge you just to ask.

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I had braces at age 7, but only on my the four front on the top and one the bottom. My teeth were actually perpendicular to each other and the orthodontist did that to try and have the others grow in straighter. It didn't work and I needed braces again when I was 12. An orthodontist will know what to do and they often give free consultations.

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I'm not planning on putting braces til my son is at least 12, and at this age, I would think it's roughly the same.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Fairly soon after all of her adult teeth grow in, it wouldn't hurt to get a consultation with an orthodontist.

Answer by Ballad at 10:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• The best person to ask is your dentist who knows your child and her teeth.

Answer by Dardenella at 10:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• They aren't a fashion accessory...they are an orthodontic aide.Speak with the child's dentist to see if they would even be necessary and have the dentist refer you to an orthodontist. 

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Does she need them? If not, then tell her she was cursed with good straight teeth! If she does need them, the orthodontist may want to wait a bit. As noted by the poster above, done too early, she could wind up needing them again later.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• When her dentist refers her to an orthodontist because he/she thinks orthodontia is needed... usually after all the baby teeth have come out.

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Btw... we knew for a long time my dd would eventually need braces. She wanted them really bad... Until she actually got them on. She's hated them since day one. Thery're a bitch to take care of and she hates that she can't eat some of her favorite things.

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2013