Is there a law that states a boy and girl of ages 2 and 7 can not sleep int he same bedroom? Thanks

Tara J.

Asked by Tara J. at 1:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Uh, I seriously doubt it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:24 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Thanks. I am moving soon. I have a daughter whos 2 and son whos 7 and they might be sharing a room but she sleeps with me now so im sure it wont change all that quickly sleeping on her own. My friend( whos a man ) said theirs a law that states they have to have sep rooms in Illinois. Im in AZ so i wanted to make sure it is not out here also.. Thanks
    Tara J.

Comment by Tara J. (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Tara, ignore your friend. He's incorrect.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• No. I am 99.9% sure that is a private matter for each household to decide. Now if you have foster children, you can't put kids of different genders together if there is a five-year or greater age difference between them, at least where I live.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:31 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• That would be a local law. Check with DCP and they should know the answer.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Thanks so much ladies
    Tara J.

Comment by Tara J. (original poster) at 3:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• If your are renting, there might be local ordinances. You need to check. I know when I rented, I was told by the apartment manager that I needed to rent a two bedroom because my 4 year old son was required to have his own bedroom. She then went on to tell me that if I had children of different sexes, they would each need there own bedrooms as well. I'm not sure if the same would go if you are privately renting a house from an individual rather than a management company, but this was true for apartment complex where I was renting.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 8:17 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Local ordinances (used primarily in apt complexes for their contracts) DO state that children 6 or older of the OPPOSITE gender must have their own room.(This may actually be a federal regulation for managing complexes). It also mandates no more than 2 people per room. The same holds true for all military housing. However if you plan on buying a house it doesn't really matter.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2013