New York man tries to sell baby on Craigslist ...

Staten Island Man Accused Of Trying To Sell Baby On Craigslist For $100

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A Staten Island man is accused of trying to sell a 2-month-old baby on Craigslist.

Paul Marquez, 23, posted an ad on the website twice late last month, offering a baby for sale for $100, law enforcement sources said.

The ad read, “I have a 2-month-old baby, she loves to play and have her little fun, but there’s one problem, doctors say she has asthma and if she turns a certain way she can stop breathing. She’s really getting on my nerves and I don’t want her,” WCBS 880′s Irene Cornell reported.

The child is the daughter of a 19-year-old woman Marquez had met online and dated a couple of times, Cornell reported.

Prosecutors said Marquez posted the ads as an act of revenge because the woman didn’t spend more time with him, Cornell reported.

Marquez’s family had no comment, but as 1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reported, young women at the Todt Hill Houses on Staten Island were appalled.

“I have a 5-year-old. He drives me crazy sometimes, but I don’t want to sell him,” said one woman named “Jessica.”

Those close to Marquez said they were shocked to hear about the allegations against him.

“He’s got his own child,” one friend told CBS 2′s Hazel Sanchez, “He’s basically a doting father. He probably did it as a joke.”

A neighbor said that the behavior seemed out of character.

“He’s quiet, that’s all I can say. He doesn’t seem like that type of kid,” James Scott said.

Marquez was arrested last Thursday and is being held on $1,000 bail.

He is charged with authority to place or board out children, harassment and endangering the welfare of a child, all misdemeanors, and faces up to a year in jail if convicted.

He is due back in court Tuesday.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/05/prosecutors-s-i-man-tried-to-sell-baby-on-craigslist-for-100/

Here's a nominee for the Butt Nugget of the Year Award. Another story said that when he posted the ad, Marquez gave his girlfriend's cel phone number. So someone actually called the mother of the baby on her cell phone to see if the infant was still for sale and available, which is how he got busted.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• "The child is the daughter of a 19-year-old woman Marquez had met online and dated a couple of times, Cornell reported."

And this mom was letting this guy around her baby? Single moms should really be more careful about who they date and then bring home to their kids!

Answer by missanc at 9:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I don't know what's worse, the father putting the ad up, or the courts saying that's worth only a year in prison.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Yeah, I posted about this disgusting waste of flesh the other day. I said I hope his cellmate, Bubba gives him all the attention he wants. No babies to distract anyone from him in there. I also agree with maecntpntz on the light sentence & minimal bail. WTH?! Isn't that child endangering? Attempting to traffic a human? Something serious like that?!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• This is disturbing.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 8:08 AM on Aug. 7, 2013