Cop Randomly Pepper Sprays Students, Says HE Has “Psychiatric Damage”

WTF??
The cop who pepper sprayed a peaceful demonstration of students at the University of California back in 2011 is now claiming the he is the one that has psychological damage since the incident!
In 2011 John Pike was a campus police Lieutenant at U of C Davis and during a totally peaceful protest of students he broke out the pepper spray and started dousing the kids with little provocation.

The kids were some of those goofy Occupy Wall Street-like protesters. I don’t support their protest and think they are all stupid for doing it. However, their protest was wholly peaceful and they had every right to carry on their little sit in no matter how stupid their protest was. Unlike most Occupy protests these U of C students weren't destroying any property and wasn't hurting anyone physically. Lt. Pike had no right to start spraying them with pepper spray. But that is what happened. Now, Pike is trying to get disability payments from the state! Former officer Pike is saying he suffered unspecified psychiatric and nervous system damage. He filed for workman's comp after seeing the 21 students who were sprayed got $1 million.

Really?? I couldn't believe this. I have used pepper spray a buttload of times, and he is claiming it was the cause of his “Psychiatric Damage”?? Now my next thought was if he could still carry a gun after that?? The govt has said they want to crack down on folks with a mental illness and they could not have access to guns. After all, he is a nutjob with a twitch. I would hate for a that twitchy finger to accidently hit the trigger 10 times...

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• About the only psychiatric damage I could see him having is guilt over spraying those kids. I remember it happening, though I didn't remember all the details of the protest.

If they allow him to have the disability for this, then they better take away his gun, and he better not be allowed to work as a cop, security guard, or anything that puts him in any real position of authority over other people. (I know he's trying for disability, but I also know of people who get disability and then still work part time or something.)

And frankly, as far as nervous system damage - to me, since he sprayed those kids, IF he has any damage, it's self-inflicted. It should be treated the same as if he'd taken a knife and sliced his palm or drove his car into a tree. He did it to himself.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Big surprise, someone else looking for an easy payoff for his fuck up.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• After watching this video I would not say this was a peaceful protest. What I don't understand is why they did not arrest the students for obstructing justice.  I may get slammed for this but oh well.  I am not saying I agree with the police officer, however I think this type of situation can be very tense and stress full for police not knowing what these guys are going to do.  You have to watch the video in its entirety in order to understand that comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDd_TYotrxw

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 11:20 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• the stupidity of some ppl never ceases to amaze me...smh
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• As Ron White so aptly says, "Now you can get a tummy tuck, or you can get a nose job ... but ya can't fix stupid!"
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• MaryMargret....I didn't see that clip, this is what I saw...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

And like you, the cops were doing what they are told to do. Considering these are campus cops, unlike city cops, they have to have the go ahead before they are allowed to do that. And the Pike guy did not. And that is why he was 'dismissed' from his duties. Another reason as to why he is doing what he is doing. 

Stupid bastard.

Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2013