How far along into wedding planning should you ask your friends to be your bridesmaids?

We just got engaged on Valentine's Day. I already know who I want to be my bridesmaids. So should I ask them now or later down the road? Or is there no rule?

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 6:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I asked mine right away. There was alot to plan, like dresses etc. They helped me plan the wedding,pick dresses etc. Id ask asap.

Answer by gemgem at 6:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I asked mine right away too!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• right away :) but if your not getting married for another 2 years you can wait
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Books on ettiquette have the absolute answer to that plus more. Heaven forbid you do it wrong in the eyes of his Mother!!! Barnes & Noble has the answer.
    BetsyAD

Answer by BetsyAD at 6:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Krazyash has a good point, if the wedding date is far in the future, you don't know what will happen by then- whether you will have new friends or what. If the date is within a year or so, then ask them now. And set the date as soon as you can so they can have the date free.
    Congratulations!

Answer by Bmat at 6:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I asked mine right away, but I was getting married a little over a year from the engagement. If you plan on being engaged for a while, then I would hold off until maybe 9-12 months before the date.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• once you get engaged you usually set a date and start preparations and the best thing is to have your bridesmaids help you choose a gown, give you an opinion on flowers etc so ask them asap
    you could send them a nice card asking will you be my bridesmaid.. they even have some nice email cards

good luck on the wedding
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 6:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Really give it a good thinking about before you ask anyone to be in your bridal party. make sure they will be able to help you and wanting to help you.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009