Can using deordorant or shaving cream or nair under arms cause breast cancer?

It's all over the internet. I have used deordorants all my life, I used to shave under my arms, but got tired of irritated armpits from shaving & nicks, so I started using nair under my arms. I have read that using all these things under your arms can cause breast cancer.
What's a lady supposed to do? If you can shave or use nair to get rid of hair under arms? If you can't even use deordorant under your arms? I seen a article that talked about using homemade deordorant using baking soda & powders.
I read that powders with talc in it can cause cancer. Can I use the summers eve talc free powders & baking soda for deordorant? has anybody tried this?

borichfan

Asked by borichfan at 9:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Health

• There is no conclusive data supporting the hypothesis that any of these cause breast cancer. That said, the wax product that is used in deodorants does build up in breast tissue but, again, nothing linking that to cancer.

I quit using antiperspirant a long time ago simply because the idea of placing a metal (aluminum) in my armpits didn't seem like a great idea. There are plenty of recipes online for homemade deodorant and they work just fine for me.

As for shaving, I just use soap and water and a razor. I don't ever cut or nick myself so I can't speak to that issue
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:53 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Everything causes cancer, seriously. I'm not going to stop using deodorant because it may cause cancer, hell I smoke I'm obviously not that concerned about it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:05 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• If that was true,don't you think just about everyone would have cancer? men have breast tissue as well

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I think there would be a lot more breast cancer in both genders if this were true. That being said, there might be an issue with this possibly triggering certain genes and that might be the reason certain studies have come up the way they do.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:20 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• never heard of that...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• who knows?!

*doesn't everything ause cancer?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• *cause
    charlotsomtimes

• Don't buy into that. There is no actual evidence. That is a way of those "My products are more safe than yours" companies to sell their products.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Life causes cancer. And if you don't get cancer--well, stretch the timeline out long enough and the survival rate for all of us will drop to zero. So if deodorant doesn't get you and cancer doesn't get you, something else definitely will.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I have also read about certain deods causing cancer...
    I would be more concerned about the foods we are eating that are causing cancer cells to grow rampant.
    I hate reading about all the cancer scares... I do wish we could all live a more natural life, though.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 6:48 PM on Aug. 7, 2013