Is it normal for a 9 year old start her period at this age? Went to the Doctor for her check up and was told I need to take her a to a specialist. Is that correct?

rosemvz

Asked by rosemvz at 11:43 AM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes it's normal. I have several friends who have daughter's who started this early. I don't think there's any need for a specialist unless something else is going on.

Answer by missanc at 11:44 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Maybe
    I started on my 9th birthday. I know a great present, right?
    If there is such a specialist, I would take her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Seeing an endocrinologist can't hurt. Is she developing breasts as well?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• my sister started at 9, I was about 12 . For some girls, it's normal.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Why does he want her to go to a specialist? What kind of specialist? Is he her regular doc and he wants her to see a GYN? If the last is the case then I would start taking her to the GYN.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• She does not look like a 9 year old, shes taller than her age group, yes she has breasts. Pediatrician told me that It's not normal for her to get her period at that age. So she wants me to take her to see a endocrinologist.
    rosemvz

Comment by rosemvz (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• It's NOT unheard of. I was reading somewhere that girls as young as five are now exhibiting symptoms of PMS. They are starting to mature faster these days. So, no she is not abnormal.... just unlucky! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• It is much more normal now than it was when we were younger. Lots of studies attribute it to the preservatives and extra stuff in our food. So a lot of girls are maturing faster than they use to.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• In my family it is very normal. 12 is, to us, unusual.
    There are many articles and papers concerning the topic.
    here is one from Women's Health- A girl can start her period anytime between the ages of 8 and 15

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I don't think it would hurt to take her, but it isn't as uncommon as you might think. I won't go on my hormones in food rant, but if your doctor thinks she needs to see someone, you should take her.
    I imagine she feels odd, because her friends are later bloomers than she is. I think you should buy her a couple of books on the subject, and talk about everything that goes along with it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2013