20 months potty training

I just read a post about potty training in three days. My son is 20 months old today. He can say peepee, poppy, and potty but he waits til he's already dirty to tell me pr to take off his diaper. Do yall think he's ready?? He's my first so im new to this. I've tried setting him on the potty chair when I go, he's got three potty chairs to choose from and I even made up a peepee song! He'll clap along and say alot of the words to it. Thanks for your help!

krissyshrum

Asked by krissyshrum at 11:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its a sign that he could be getting ready but that doesn't mean he is. All kids are ready at different ages. I wouldn't stress over it. Because really in the end when they are ready potty training is so easy. I tend to beleive that the challenge comes when you shove it down their throat before they are ready. It sounds like you are doing great. Just talk it up with him and don't stress yourself out!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• One tip just to help I'm a new mom too. But I learned from my babysitting jobs how potty training works. When he's ready make him a calendar of the month it is and get some stickers on the days he uses the potty put a sticker and u can eather give him a prize at the end of the week or end of 2 weeks or after the whole month if he goes potty a sertant amount of times in that week or 2 weeks ext. but u get the gist good luck Hun. You will do fine.
    DestinyJDavis

Answer by DestinyJDavis at 12:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Twenty months is pretty young to do something intensive like the three-day method. Let your son take the lead. Keep doing what you have been, but don't push too much. I tried the three-day method when my daughter was too young, and it went down in flames. But when she was ready at three and a half, the whole thing took ten days and one bag of M&M's, and half a package of pull-ups, and she had no more accidents even at night.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Wait until he is truly ready. The truly big sign is staying dry for a long periods of time while doing other things or through nap.

My younger 2 kids were trained by 2.5, but if something happened to upset them it was easily undone. I waited until I saw that DS2 was staying dry during nap and while out and about or playing with the others. He was 3. It took a week and the promise of Pirates of the Caribbean underwear and he was done. And not even illness or seizure could undo the training like the other 2.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Probably too young.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Most children are not ready until 2 1/2 to 3 years of age. They simply do not have the physical amd mental control
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2013