Mean/Bad Imaginary Friends

Help my son says he has mean green invisible friends that make him do bad thangs. I know this is normal but how can i git my child to tell the truth and to git rid of these bad friends?

My son Is 5 and has not done any thing to bad until a couple of months ago. He has colored on the floor and t.v., peed on the floor, and has stuft the toilet with with t.p. and flushed his under-ware and he is blaming his bad imaginary friends.

Kathy8407

Asked by Kathy8407 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL, my cousin had one FOREVER. Dobah made him do all the bad things, while my cousin was an absolute angel. It's just their way of testing to see how much trouble they will get into for things, WITHOUT the worry of actually being the one to GET into trouble.... Don't pay too much attention to it, just let him know that ultimately he is responsible for his friends actions....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• My daughter has had a few imaginary friends--sometimes she still does--and while they've mostly just been playmates, a couple of times they've supposedly coaxed her into doing things she knows she shouldn't. What I did was put the imaginary culprit in time-out right next to my daughter, and if that friend wouldn't let her sit quietly till the time was up, they both got extra minutes added on. It didn't take long for the imaginary friends to tow the line!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• torn on this- I mean it sort of seems normal...but I have a sister who is schizophrenic so...

I think at this point- I would let him know he nees to tell this friend that whatever he does HE is going to get in trouble for.
    Have you ever watched Drop Dead Fred? Love that movie! haha
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• My D. Has an imaginary friend named Donna when she was about 3 to 5. She did grow out of it so just hang in there. If he says they are making him act out maybe you should talk with the dr. My D's was just a playmate. Maybe you could tell him its time for the bad kid to go home. One thing I would suggest is to always talk to him like he is a person. Let him know you understand how he feels and maybe he could find nicer playmates. And please let him know that he should not talk to any strangers, let him know there are real people out there that can and will hurt him so he must be careful. Good luck and I have you in my prayers
    loborena

Answer by loborena at 12:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• If it has only been a few months then I would just tell him that no matter if someone else tells him to do something or he comes up with the idea, he is still going to be in trouble if he does something he knows he is not supposed to.

Example: My son has a Friend next door that will tell him to do this or that, if my son misbehaves he get's punished.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Talk it out and let him know that you cannot see or talk to this imaginary friend so disciplining the imaginary friend is his job, and while the imaginary friend is under your roof your child is responsible for his actions. Ask how he is going to explain to his friend why what was done was wrong and let him know that if he cannot control his friend they will both be punished in the future.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Wow. That's a lot of things for a little boy to be doing... Sounds like his imagination has been fed by t.v. or another (older) kid/kids.

Sounds like the "bad imaginary friends" need to be told to "go home and come back when they can act better around him".
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 8:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2013