What do you do when your 3 year old is acting impossible !!!

yes it's one of those day! :(
I work from home, yet i am trying my best to entertain him. He found this godforsaken glass with a cover (those plastic ones you get at birthday's filled with favors and goodies) and he keeps stuffing it with puzzles. Now the glass has a certain capacity right? About 13-15 are not fitting in. He throws a fit when he can't stuff them all in close it with the lid. I tried explaining it to him as sweetly as i can all of them won't fit. i tried hiding a few but he suddenly becomes smart there! he won't play with something else either. my undivided attention is not working either. he just wants to stuff those damned puzzles in the cup!!!!!
urgh! yes i'm venting because i'm trying to distract myself from yelling at him or worse, jump out of the window! lol
what do you do when your kid starts acting up and nothing you do is working?

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When he gets frustrated & throws the fit about the pieces not fitting in the cup (the first time, ideally, but can implement this at any point once I come to my senses & realize that he doesn't need solutions or explanations; he needs empathy, lol!) I just look at him & acknowledge that it's not working & that's infuriating.
    If he needs to cry, he cries. Or he rages. Or, all he needed was acknowledgment & he moves on effortlessly. Any of the three is "success."
    My problem is if I forget this & default to automatically trying to stop or avoid the upset. In that case, I'm likely to respond as you did, with reasoning & explaining, and also likely to feel frustrated when HE stays frustrated. As soon as I am feeling resistance to his feelings (like I can't stay regulated myself if he's upset), things are likely to unravel. If I can notice my agitation & remember it's not my job to fix upsets or prevent them, there's hope!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• LOL, nap time? I'd try my best to get him to either take a nap or lay him in bed with a book.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Pour 2 glasses of wine. One for him and one for you.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 1:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Honestly, in that situation I'd just leave him alone with the glass and the puzzle pieces, tune out the screaming, and let him figure out on his own that the pieces won't fit (even if it takes forever and you want to chug a glass of wine and jump out the window). Good luck, Mom, this too shall pass. *Smile.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2013