You won't believe what my 3 year old just said!

a show called gravity falls is on, im not really paying attention to it but i guess two boys kissed, or almost kissed or it looked like they were kissing or they talked about kissing... IDK. but it must have happened because she said "boys and boys don't kiss. only girls and boys kiss"

wow! let me tell you right now that nobody put that idea into her head, with the exception of the zillions of movies she's watched where the boy and girl kiss and they live happily ever after.

i didn't really know what to say... i just said no, sometimes boys and boys kiss and sometimes girls and girls kiss. she said nothing else after that and continued watching the show.

i know it's not really a big deal, she's just a little girl it's not like she's a bigot LOL. i was just surprised that she said that but then again thinking about all the movies that only have boy/girl relationships, i can see why she'd draw that conclusion.

sooo to make this a question.... do you think (speaking hypothetically remember) they should make more child appropriate movies with homosexual storylines, especially now that marriage equality and gay rights are becoming more and more accepted by society, so that our young children are exposed to the idea from an early age?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• It's a normal conclusion for her to come to since, as you pointed out, pretty much all the movies and TV shows show male/female relationships. I think you handled it fine - she opened the door to an opportunity for you to explain about same sex relationships, and you did. I used to take opportunities when my boys would see a very feminine acting man on TV or a woman who was very masculine and explain that sometimes those people are gay, sometimes they're not and while they might not be what we imagine when we think of that gender, they are still normal and deserve to be treated exactly the same as anyone else.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Yes and no. I think there need to be more equal relationships on shows, but I don't think that young kids (2-???) really need to be seeing all that just yet.

What's my solution? I haven't the foggiest.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Wow, that's an interesting thought, making child-appropriate movies with homosexual story lines. My five-year-old said something similar the other day about only boys and girls kissing, although I can't remember exactly what she said or in what context it came up. I doubt if movies like that will happen any time soon because society as a whole probably isn't ready to let go of the exclusive "boy gets girl" or "Cinderella and Prince Charming" thing. As to what I think about it, I'm not really sure. I'll have to chew on the idea for a while, but it's intriguing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Thing is, heterosexual couples are still the norm. There's nothing wrong with her thinking that's the way things are because it is. Of course it's great to let her know that its still okay when boys kiss boys and girls kiss girls and if thats what someone chooses to do theres nothing wrong with that either, but I don't think there's a need to make cartoons out of it. Not just yet anyway. I think it's still too complicated of a social issue to explain to young children via animated characters.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• And of course your 3 year old is not a bigot! She doesn't know how to be one.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• she is 3? way young
    mine just turned six, she came home from reading summer class and told me
    "sometimes boys marry boys and girls marry girls"
    and i said, "yes, sometimes"
    and she went on to play

this day and age, she will pick it up
    but three is young, she is normal for three, there is an order for things, when she is a bit older, then she will be able to see the world through others eyes - not at three
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• yep, she's 3. that's probably why i was so surprised
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• i also don't see why it's any different for a 2 year old to see prince eric & ariel kissing as opposed to two princesses kissing. i'm not saying they need to make the movies pornographic or anything. why is a homosexual storyline somehow MORE sexual than a heterosexual storyline?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I never know what to say when that subject comes up.. i just aviod it, great strategy huh? :-/
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• they make shows where parents are divorced, grandparents raising grandchildren, children with disabilities... why not a show with two moms or two dads? whats wrong with exposing children to love?

when my oldest saw two men kiss she asked if they were brothers, I just simply told her no they are a couple like mommy and daddy. her reply was that's weird and I just told her sharing love is never weird and that was the end of it.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2013