Do you have a right to own and drive your car? Would you give it up in the name of public safety?

I mean, I'm sure you lock it up and park it safely in your drive way but a crazy, drunken thief or an angry teenager could still, after all, steal it and drive it into a crowd of pedestrians at the mall or a playground killing dozens, right? What if YOU aren't paying attention while driving and cause a fatal accident? What kinds of background checks are done on car buyers? Is there a limit on how many you can buy? How hard is it to obtain a driver's license? Does everyone who gets behind the wheel actually have one? Will stricter tests at the DMV stop people from driving illegally? Or make it more likely that they will? So should we just outlaw cars to keep everyone safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I have to agree that here is no way to prevent a deranged person from taking innocent lives. A car can be broken in to, hot wired and used as a weapon. A kitchen knife can be used as a weapon. Should we have background checks on all persons purchasing utensils? Just like stricter gun laws isn't the answer! When law abiding citizens are forbidden to protect themselves, rest assured the criminals have stolen guns!
    hishighest

Answer by hishighest at 9:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• is this leading to another pioneer days post?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I just don't get why this event is used to passive aggressively argue the 2nd amendment. This is the second time I've seen it used here in the last 24 hours.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• sidesplittinglaughter

kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• My head hurts...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• "Not an argument, a comparison."

Do you have a constitutional right to drive?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Nothing they do will stop stupid people
    Why should we have to give up a luxury that someone else takes advantage of?
    Trains, planes, buses have wrecks, get hijacked and stolen.

This sort of thinking could pertain to most anything that could be a potential danger, I for one and not going to worry about what could be and keep right on living day to day.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Just...dogs. That's how I wish to answer this.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• It's not a comparison. You can not compare. There are more regulations with driving than there are with guns. And while you might not need a background check, you need insurance, which is basically a background check on your ability to operate a car. You also need to pass a test to get a license. There are police officers to enforce how people drive on roads.

How exactly does this compare to gun ownership where you don't need all of this?
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 3:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Do I have a RIGHT to own & drive my car? It's more of an earned privilege than a right. As long as I pass the state required test & get the state required insurance, then & only then can I drive. If I accidentally injure or kill someone due to my negligence, then I know I will be punished for it.

Are there people out there bending the driving laws? You bet. But I can't control what all the criminals decide to do. And that goes for all types of criminals. Those who are hell-bent on destruction will find a way.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2013