Help with my daughters issues

I have a 6yr old little girl who seems to not be able to stop talking. She gets in trouble at school for not listening and talking too much. She is very smart and has no problems with her school work. She is at the top level of her class but I don't believe it is boredom. My husband and I recently separated but she was doing the same thing before so I don't think it is that either. I have tried taking things away and she seems sorry when she gets in trouble but it is still happening at least once a week. Any ideas?

melissap463

Asked by melissap463 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LMAO Sorry but I WAS YOUR DD! Im not sure what can help other then telling her you will take things from her if she keeps talking and getting in trouble. My teachers had me sit right up next to their desk because I talked to just anyone I could. I even chatted up the janitors.
    Anonymous

• OK please don't take this the wrong way I mean no disrespect when I say this. This comes from my own personal experience. I have a 6 year old as well and we went through a tantrum phase when her daddy deployed to Iraq. My prayer was something like "God, one of us ain't gonna make it....lol. But I sooned learned that she was begging for MY attention. Maybe that is what your daughter is begging for. So what worked for me was, as soon as we got home from work/daycare I gave her 30 minutes of my undivided attention (NO phone, email, tv,cooking , cleaning, etc...) we did whatever she wanted to do which was usually playing kitchen or a game. Her tantrums disappeared after I did this. I know your daughter loving to gab could just be part of her personality ( I was always in trouble for talking when I was their age...lol) & have nothing to do with needing anything , this was just a suggestion :).
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I take no offense what so ever. I know she needs her mommy time, and I do this every night. We spend lots of time together doing many things. I want to get in all the cuddling I can before she hits her teens years and hates me for something or another lol. I used to be the talker too so I know she gets it from me lol, but I am not sure how to stop it. I reinforce the "rules" every morning before she goes to school, listen to the teacher, no talking unless its lunch or recess, keep your hands to yourself etc. Most times she is pretty good, but I want her the be that way every day. I know she is a kid, and needs to be a kid.
    melissap463

Answer by melissap463 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• that is so funny....at lunch is usually when my dd gets into the most trouble ( they aren't aloud to talk when the music is on) :) Since it isn't affecting her school work I wouldn't worry to much just keep doing what you are doing....reinforcing the rules etc..... Maybe try positive reinforcement like if you go 2 days in a row w/o getting into trouble for talking we'll do this..... & you can make it fit her. As Dr.Phil would say whatever her "currency" is. ....... ice cream, stickers, going to the park etc...Of course as she progresses you can up the days in a row.....good luck .
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my son never ever stops. Infact he used to tell me (when he was 4 and 5) he needed to talk in order to breath. Kind of "I'll die if I stop talking" mindset. it was pretty funny.

some kids need to talk it seems. It's odd, but my son does a MUCH better job with schoolwork if he is talking non stop.

Maybe she can sit by the teacher and talk to the teacher so she doesn't disrupt the other kids. In time she will learn the control needed to wait to talk to the other kids until they are finished with their work. becuase it does distract them even of it seems to help her (or at least not hinder her).

all I can say is I am glad we switched to homeschooling. and it is really sad when the goverment won't allow children to talk during lunch. (and kind of blows a hole in the arguement that kids need to go to a publlic school -instead of being homeschooled- in order to be able to socialize. )
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My 6 year old has been labeled "too social" and she is smart as well. We took things away from her and asked the teacher to write us a little note every day whether she had a good day or a bad day. If she had a bad day, she lost something. When she lost her rights to go to her best friend's birthday party at her favorite place, that was all it took. It has been 3 weeks of perfect notes.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 2:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009