Has anyone ever experienced working for a company that is closing or closed due to financial issues??

i am sad today due to my job ending this friday. the agency that i work for is filing for bankrupcty. now i have to look for a new job, this really sucks :(

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Money & Work

• Yes. I got laid off from a company when they closed. I got unemployment and a small severance package. It didn't take too long to find another job
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I work for a private school for kids who have social/emotional disorders. School districts send their kids to us when they feel they do not have the resources to help the kids. We have been getting less and less students over the past couple of years. We might be closed by Christmas.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 3:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Yep, I was with a company until it closed. It was a long time ago and it was one of my favorite jobs. I still miss that store.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• No, but I worked for a company that got bought by another company which effectively ended my job. I had actually gone on maternity leave a year earlier and decided not to return full time. They were letting me do some freelance side jobs at home and paying my piece work, which was fine with me! But when they sold to the larger company, that no longer worked (but that was back in the 90s, these days I probably could have telecommuted)

Answer by missanc at 3:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• I'm sorry this is happening to you. My boyfriend's ex wife was in that situation several years ago after having worke for the same company for a long time. I hope you feind a new job soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Yup
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Not the entire company closing, but I did work for a company that closed our branch of the business. We had the option to transfer to Atlanta (we're in FL), and they would have paid our moving expenses, but my family is here, and I knew that on the salary they paid me, there was no way I could live in Atlanta, so I had to turn it down, which meant that I was laid off.

It was actually the last job I had before I started writing and working from home.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Kind of, they didn't close until after I'd quit though so it didn't affect me.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• they informed us tuesday that friday wouldbe our last day :(
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

Well, that really sucks. The place I was at gave us like a month's notice, plus at least 2 weeks severance (might have been a month, I can't remember for sure).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2013