Can you really choose which gender you get pregnant with?

I’ve been reading all sorts of things that suggest this. The 1st thing I came across is the Chinese Gender Chart. Does this really work? I've also heard about having sex 3-4 days before ovulation to conceive a girl, the “girl” diet, as well as sex positions that could give you a better chance at having a girl. Do you think any of this stuff truly works, or is it just a 50/50 chance either way? My husband and I have a sweet little boy, but I would love to have a girl as well!

Regardless of the outcome, I’m going to feel totally blessed as long as I have a healthy baby.

IvyRhiann

Asked by IvyRhiann at 5:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• only if you use IVF and they select a sperm with the desired gender

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• i think i read somewhere a while ago that British scientists found a way by analyzing the chromosomes in the sperm or something. personally i wouldn't want to conceive a child through a test tube unless i was infertile or something, not just to get the preferred sex i want. and even then, i'd probably adopt because there are so many hopeless orphans out there that need loving homes.

i think all that other stuff you mentioned is just a case of luck, nothing that is actually proven to work 100% of the time.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• The only way to guarantee what gender you get is to adopt.
    Now I have read that male sperm are faster but they die faster, and female sperm is slower and lives longer so if you track your ovulation and have sex say the day before you ovulate then the male sperm would die and the female sperm would live longer. This is in no way an exact science or 100% effective. I have also heard that you can have your man do it in a cup and then a scientist will kill off the male/female sperm and inject you with the leftovers. I'm sure this is very expensive and again isn't 100% positive it will work.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Exactly what I was thinking! lol I didn't think it was possible unless you spend thousands of dollars! Thanks for the answers! :)
    IvyRhiann

Comment by IvyRhiann (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2013