My 6 year old keeps wetting his pants...help!

He's in first grade, this is the second week of school and he's had 4 accidents. My husband says its because he has ADHD. Last year, his teacher was more understanding and would ask him periodically if he had to go to the bathroom. His teacher this year just seems annoyed. How should handle this? What should I do?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 10:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would go to the Principal & ask for your Son to be moved to another class & Teacher who is more attentive to a childs needs instead of just looking for a paycheck. That pisses me off when Teachers act annoyed. Maybe it's the wrong job for them or maybe they should teach H.S. instead of small children.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Ummm- ADHD has nothing to do with the ability to control the bladder.
    Now, what could be happening, is that the child is so focused on an activity he is ignoring his body's hints and clues.

In the event your child's teacher isn't willing to work with your child, then YOU need to go to the principal and have a "come to jesus" meeting.
    Your child, more than likely, will be shunned by his peers if he keeps having accidents.
    The stigma of accidents at this age could carry on to even middle school and beyond.

Of course, talk to doc to verify no physiological issues. Talk to kid to find out what is going on in his brain when it happens.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• My ADD kid peed his pants until he was seven. He was just distracted by everything else going on around him and would not notice that he had to pee until it was too late. Is he on medication for his ADHD?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• ADHD can indirectly cause accidents when a child is too focused on something or too distracted by something to notice what his body is teling him. I agree that the easiest way would be to get the teacher on board with helping the kid remember to go to the bathroom every so often, even if you have to speak to the principal. If that can't happen, what about one of those watches that beeps on the hour?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Check-up time with Dr. Teacher should be more understanding.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2013