Smoking marijuana and VA benefits?

Hi all, a quick question. My dad is a retired vet. He has the beginning stages of leukemia and osteoarthritis on top of diabetes amongst other things happening in his body. He had to be take. Off of pain medication and soon his diabetes medication due to kidneys bleeding. He is in immense pain. I have encouraged him with the use of medicinal marijuana I hate to see him in so much pain. He is afraid his benefits would be taken away. Anyone have any insight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Health

• Talk to his VA Dr about this. They may be able to prescribe Marinol for him.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2013

• What is marinol?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• marinol

tincture would probably provide more relief than smoking.
    In response to your original query

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Marinol is synthetic marijuana, in a pill form.
    It's prescribed for patients going through cancer, extreme pain etc.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Usually the VA will not prescribe pain meds and mmj. It will be one or the other. As for benefits only the VA can answer that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• As long as the marijuana, which can be prescribed, by the VA. The benefits will stay the same.
    His benefits are permanent. Regardless of what he's taking.

I just suggested talking to his VA Dr because it would be provided for free.
    I'm a vet and part of VA. As well as receive benefits through VA.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Well he already can't have pain meds because of his kidneys bleeding. That's the point of encouraging med marijuana
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• The VA offered it to me for my Epilepsy, but I declined. Plus, I love my job and I have to be able to pass a drug test.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• OP, I'm heading to bed but before I go, I just want you to know how sorry I am for your dad.

You're welcome to PM me anytime if you have questions.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Thank you very much. It's hard to see him this way. He did much better when he wasn't in so much pain. He says his grand kids keep him alive :) have a great night.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2013