I need help with an out of state move!

I live in Pennsylvania and I will be moving to Georgia. Our lease here is not up until February so that is when the move will be made. I have done a ton of research online and through family down south about jobs, schools, locations, expenses, etc.

However, I do not know when is the best time frame to start cleaning out this house, packing up, and just over all planning. Most people I know are telling me to start about two months before I move. From now until my move date, I have both sons birthdays, back to school, halloween, holidays, etc so I know the time to move will be here before I know it.

Any suggestions are helpful ;-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2013 in Travel

• Start now. Start cleaning and sorting and tossing. Have boxes ready. Most kids have more toys that they know what to do with. Have the sort out what the do not play with want for a garage sale. Sort the toys you absolutely love and want and pack the rest as you know they will get things for birthdays. As soon as the weather is cold enough go through the clothes and clean the ones you will keep and the hot weather ones pack and mark the boxes on more than one side Go through every cabinet with the idea of is this worth th cost of transporting it. Let's talk silverwear ad say I have a crappy set. I know that I will use it through the last day and the toss it. Or if I have two sets, I will pack the good set and know that I will toss the crap. Torn and crappy sheets and towels, you know you are going to toss but what about those outfits you haven't worn in 3 years. Isn't it time to go.
    You need to be ruthless because
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Now is not a bad time to start the initial clean-out of things that don't need to come with you. Outgrown clothes, toys, that sort of thing. Anything that hasn't been taken out in a year can go to Goodwill now. Or have some early garage sales. Now's a good time to get folks looking for back-to-school bargains.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• If there's anything you want to sell, go ahead and start with that.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I've managed to pack up a house in less than 4 hours before. lol But that was leaving an abusive relationship, so I had some serious motivation.

I would start now with going through things like papers, clothes, toys, etc. Sort through them and get rid of the things you know you don't need to take with you (you can scan paperwork, if you need copies but don't want to take the paper copies with you), and get rid of them. Then, after Christmas, I'd start packing up the things you aren't using and won't use before you move, clothes, dishes, toys, decorative things like photos and figurines, etc.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I would wait until AFTER Christmas for sure, then start clearing out old stuff that you know you do not want to take into the ne house, then you can start taking things off the wall; pictures, nick-knacks, then non essentials like the garage, office, then move on to the kids room and your own room. I usually pack the kitchen last.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• You will pay for every thing you take. Paper is a serious bulk and weight problem, Get rid of as much as you can.
    Here is an idea. Your kids are going to need school supplies. Ask one of the relatives to pick you up the supplies you need while they are on sale.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• beginning of January for the most part probably-

I honestly can pack a house and whatnot in a week- but I have done it SOOOOO many times...ugh

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Oh yuck! Good luck. I hate moving, and I've never crossed state lines.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:05 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Depends on how busy you are. If you work out side the home? Start packing and throwing things you do not need a t least a month or 2 early.

Answer by louise2 at 6:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2013