May offend some.. decision to euthanize cat

I have an 8 year old female cat that I have to decide what to do with her and soon. We are moving and there are no pets allowed. I would take her with me anyway except that at this place I can't let her out, and without letting her out she poops and pees on the carpets. She's feral and I didn't know that at the time I bought her. So I've tried desperately the last 6 months to find a home for her but found no takers. I've tried putting her in ads but no takers. So its either euthanization or letting her go/abandoning her. I can't just abandon her though, who knows what her quality of life would turn into. I fear she would be beaten to death by other strays around here, run over, picked up and taken to the pound and eventually euthanized anyway. But thinking about doing this breaks my heart and I'm completely lost at what to do. What are your thoughts on this, what would you do? Is this the more humane way to take her in and do it? Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Pets

• You could take the cat to the shelter. It is cheaper here to surrender an animal than have it euthanized. Feral cats aren't really pets. I don't know how you ended up with one in your house.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:07 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• how do you know she is 8yo?
    do you know what feral means?
    why not just surrender her and allow the pros find her a home?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I talked to an animal shelter lady and she told me she's feral by me describing her temperment and how she refuses to use the cat box and she's not very friendly with people, so she said she sounds like she's feral. I guess. I bought her from an animal store in Idaho when she was a kitten though. Yeah I thought about surrendering her but then she'll just get put down anyway. No one will adopt a cat who is not overly friendly is what I've been told by two different animal shelters. Yeah I've looked up feral. Still doesn't make sense to me but she's only a good outdoor cat. So maybe it does?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• You adopted a feral cat, meaning a cat gone wild., and you did not know this?
    I am just trying to be sure I understand
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I bought a kitten 8 years ago. She has never really been friendly with people, actually she'd run away from people and hide. From this description I gave the lady at the foster place she told me it sounds like I have a feral cat. I'm just saying what I've been told. I just want to know if this would be more humane than abandoning her. I've tried talking to people at animal shelters and foster cares and they've all said the same thing. SHE IS UNADOPTABLE. Which therefore she will end up euthanized eventually anyways.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Your cat is not feral. it was not once domestic and then let loose to fend for itself
    the people you spoke to are ignorant
    what you have is an untrained, unsocialized cat
    unless she is violent do not assume she is unadoptable
    there are a lot of people who will take in cats who want to be left the hell alone

cats are not like dogs. they are not expected to be social
    look into a no kill shelter and surrender the animal. chances are the animal will find a loving placement
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• bring her to a shelter. don't put her down. they may find a home for her with someone you have never met.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I have had many truly feral cats inside while recovering from accidents or being fixed and they have all used the litter box. One we had to keep inside for 3 months. She stayed under the bed but would come out to use the litter box. The only time I have had cats not use the box they have either had urinary infections or been really mad at something I have done.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Have you thought about maybe finding her a home on a farm? I know many farmers like to have outdoor cats to help with mice.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:09 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• FARM. Find a farm that won't mind one more. Ask first though. Don't just dump her.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2013