They make child proof locks for ovens, right?

OMG! I just went to the bathroom, and came back to find my 14 month old DD standing on the oven door! Thankfully, the oven hasn't been on in over 12 hours. We have an open concept kitchen/living room, so I don't think a baby gate would work. We never had a problem with my DS opening the oven, so I've never even thought about when child/baby proofing. Any recommendations?

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 10:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does your oven have a lock already built in? I know a lot of the self-cleaning ones do.

She'll be reaching those knobs soon enough, or figuring out how to pull a chair over. Kids are little gremlins!

Good luck.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:19 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Yes, they sell them at BabiesRUs & some hardware stores. Also I think most ovens are chained to the wall in the back of the oven to prevent it from tipping forward too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• That is a good question. We have an oven that is right on the floor and one that is up higher. WE don't normally use the low one, but DS (who is almost 3) would open and get in if he wanted. What I need to do is get one for our ice maker! Save our floors from lots of melting ice.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 1:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Dorel-Oven-Lock-Child/dp/B0000482FN

the reviews are kinda all over the place though...

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• http://www.babysupermall.com/main/browse/child-safety-devices.html

Here's a place w/ all kinds of safety things you didn't know you'd ever need. You have quite the little dare devil there- this will help you stay one step ahead. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• What kind of a handle does it have? Would it be possible to jam a stick under it (like they jam chairbacks under door handles in the movies ...)?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:02 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• We always pulled the knobs off the burners when not cooking and stored them in a shelf.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:02 AM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Ours has a button that you push to lock it when it isn't in use, some do look and see if there is a setting for it, but never ever leave her alone while the oven is on, on ours you can't lock it while it is running.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• A lock would be a good idea, also to keep your kid from sticking a toy or something in the oven. I incinerated a teddy bear once and I was very shaken up at the ease with which there could have been a terrible fire. I didn't think of the danger of a child climbing on an oven door that might be hot, but I always checked the oven for stray toys after that. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

Thankfully, the knobs on our stove are not within her reach (for now at least). It seems it is her mission to prove that my house isn't as baby/child friendly as I thought.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2013