What unique/uncommon name would you name your daughter or son?

IvyRhiann

Asked by IvyRhiann at 1:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Baby Names

• I was going to name my daughter Berlin
    *not after the band or place...I just thought it would be a pretty/ different name. When they brought the paperwork though, I had gotten the thought that the kids would call here "burly" in my head and I changed it to Ashley and made Berlin her middle name
    *I had never known an Ashley that I could think of-so I had NO idea how popular it was...the first time we went to the doctor there were 4 of them. I wanted to die

I wish I'd stuck with Berlin- but what an you do?!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• None. I don't like the trend toward all the unique names. But since that push towards unique, many of the traditional names actually are different and less trendy.

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I have three boys with very common names. I have always wanted to name a girl, Frances, for my grandma. If I had another boy I would name him Osbourne for my dad that died two years ago.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• when i was a teen my family watched some awful Australian movie where one of the characters was named Kanziora (Can-Zee-Or-Ah) and i fell in love. i also wanted to name a girl after the military base i lived on in Japan...Kadena (Ka-Dean-Ah). but i never used either b/c they were too weird.

i also wanted to use President's last names...Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton. but DH HATED that idea. i did get my Jack tho (and i call him Jackson sometimes just to piss DH off haha).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I named my dd Tess. It's uncommon but not unique. I don't like the current trends of naming kids.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I'm not really into unique names, and my daughter has a very common one. The only slightly odd idea I have is that if I ever give birth to another girl, I'd like her middle name to be Jewelan. (Pronounced Jew-el-lan.) Jewel to commemorate a baby I lost, Ellan because it's the middle name of my best friend and I decided years ago I wanted to honor her. I don't think my boyfriend will go for it, though, if we have another baby at all. So it may be just a nice idea that never happens.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I think the unique name trend has gone too far in the last few years.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I tend to like older, traditional names but I do like some unique names like Atticus for a boy and Tawny for a girl.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I like Willow for a girl.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• If I had another child, I like Miles or Ian for a boy & Lydia or Lucinda for a girl.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2013