Just a couple of thoughts

this earth. And He planned it so that it would yield every single thing that the people on it need. But He was careful to plan it so that it would only yield up its wealth in exchange for the

labor of man. Any man who tries to share in that wealth without contributing the work of his brain or his hands is dishonest.”

― Ralph Moody
-------------------
“And not only the pride of intellect, but the stupidity of intellect. And, above all, the dishonesty, yes, the dishonesty of intellect. Yes, indeed, the dishonesty and trickery of intellect.”

― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 3:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• I like the first quote. It's true as Dardenella took it, but I think it's also true, as Bandgeek said, that sometimes the fruits of the labor don't actually go to the ones who sweat and toil. A quote taken out of context and used as a weapon, which I believe Bandgeek was referring to when she mentioned how these things are used in discussions, can be dangerous.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I personally don't like the stigma that those who need aid are not working. I know plenty on FS, for instance, who work full time jobs. The issue, IMO, pertains to corporate welfare and how these huge corporations will pay their employees less on purpose, train them to get on welfare, and then that corporation not only saves money by having the government pay for their employee's needs, but it MAKES money off of the government funds those employees use for their food and so forth in their stores.

So labor does not always yield wealth, and the acquisition of wealth doesn't always mean that those to whom the profits are given are actually doing most of the labor. Often you have people at the top of the chain making a HUGE profit off of the backs of workers who aren't even paid enough to get by without help.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• That is not what the quote says or means bandgeek. You are inserting your own prejudice into the words.

So what exactly do you think it is saying?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• "That is not what the quote says or means bandgeek. You are inserting your own prejudice into the words."

Well without a fuller context to tell me how I'm supposed to take it, you can't really blame me. Though I disagree that I'm 'inserting prejudice." I was just unaware as to the context of both the quote and YOUR intentions for posting it. Considering the way that such statements are used in discussion, both here on CM and in the political environment at large, it wasn't an intentional mistake
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• What is the context of the second quote?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• It is from the book stated

That is not what the quote says or means bandgeek. You are inserting your own prejudice into the words.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• If you do not labor, you should not expect the fruits that come with labor. It does not say anything about those that work and need some help.
    It is talking about those who do no but expect all the benefits.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I understand that it was from the book but I'm unsure as to what you see as the meaning of the statement. How is intellect dishonest? Why does he believe it is? What was he referring to when he made that statement in the book?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2013