How can I help my 5 yr old to not be so sassy?

I think it might have to do with him being in school, but I am hoping to get some advice and suggestions that I can share with him so he will learn that is not acceptable. And another area I am hoping to get some advice on is how impatient he is. He is incredibly impatient and I know he gets it from me :-) but whenever he is doing something like drawing, getting dressed, little things, etc., and it doesn'tgo the way he wants, he gets so upset so I am trying to find out how I can help him calm down quicker. And I guess I have one more issue-I have always been very good at complimenting him when he does something well, but recently he will mke commments like "nobody likes my drawings', you don't like my drawing', 'you don't love me', I don't do good at coloring", and so on. With all these areas I have tried the usual, ignoring, talking about it, for the sassy-timeouts, taking a toy away, etc. So any other advice-Please!

tuppermom6594

Asked by tuppermom6594 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am fighting the same battle. The stuff my 5yr old comes up with... sometimes I have to turn my head so he can't see me laugh! I know he is serious but its too darn funny. It seems to me that he is testing his new found age. Hes trying to be more grown up. The best way I have found to deal with this is to talk to him more like a grown up. That seems to be what mine wants. When he says things that I find to be mean or full of sass I will ask him.. Hey what did I do to deserve this? And most of the time he will stop and take a breath and say "Im sorry Mommy" And he will say what he wanted to say in a more polite manner. In short, don't be afraid to say "hey your hurting Mommy's feelings."
    MamaTiger2

Answer by MamaTiger2 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son was like that @ that age, and then in 3rd grade we found out he was a GATE (Gifted and Talented Education). that is one of the symptoms of GATE students. They like to be perfectionists and when they don't get it right, it bothers them more than most kids. Just let him know that you do like his drawing and it seems to help when we tell our kids that "I NEVER did anything that nice when i was your age" you are a really talented artist!!!
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 10:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009