Breastfeeding

I'm a breastfeeding mom of my send son. Who is almost two weeks old on tuesday. I'm curious if I were to go out to dinner with a friend and I had a alcholic beverage.how much should I pump out once I gget home. And how longer after consuming the drink do I wait to feed my baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• I've heard 24 hours.. but you can always buy those alcohol test strips for breast milk
    mandi_m

Answer by mandi_m at 4:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Depends on how much you drink. When I was trying to get my milk supply up, my lactation consultant from the hospital recommended that I drink a stout beer a little while before nursing. She said the small amount of alcohol that might get into breastmilk wouldn't be harmful. Of course, if you drink more, the story might chane.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-feeding-and-alcohol/AN02131 

Pump before you drink so you have milk on hand. If you feel imapired at all don't nurse the baby.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Alcohol processes through milk at the same rate as through blood. If you feel buzzed, pump or wait. If you feel sober enough to drive and are not buzzed, you are fine to nurse. Usually one drink like wine or beer is fine.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Stay away from the test strips. They are terribly inaccurate; they'll register alcohol when none has been ingested in a long time. Cleaners can set them off! Save your money.

Safe to drive, safe to nurse. One drink, you can nurse the instant you get home. Your bigger concern is getting engorged and leaking during dinner.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2013