Atheists and agnostics!

Did you come from a religious family? Did you tell your family that you were an atheist or agnostic? How did they take it? I come from a mormon family and I'm agnostic. When they talk to me about 'God' all I want to say is I don't know if I believe in a god and I'm uncomfortable talking about religious beliefs with anyone. It was always pushed on me as a kid and it pushed me away from all religions. There's nothing wrong with them but don't bring me into it. I don't believe you have to go to a church or temple or pray to stay close to a deity or to show that you believe in them. Hopefully I don't get alot of heat from too many people. Just looking for support. I've only started to feel comfortable with being able to freely say I'm agnostic (just not to my family yet) and I feel thats a big step; being able to tell yourself that comfortably.

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 4:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Saying that you're not sure what your beliefs are, or that you are an agnostic, and that you don't wish to discuss religion, is perfectly okay to say to anyone, family or otherwise. If somebody tries to pull you into a debate or argument you don't want to get into, just keep repeating that you'd rather not discuss it. The broken record approach eventually works because the pushy person has no more angles. Good luck finding your path.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• it gets better as time goes on. once you firmly know what you believe you feel more confidant and comfortable.

I came from a religious family, all Christians nothing else. I received really harsh treatment/comments when I finally stated I was no longer going to be a Christian. I still get comments here and there but whatever.

skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I was always too afraid to upset my grandma when I was little to say anything. She passed 10 years ago and I haven't been back to a church since. I mostly went to appease her and keep her from nagging at me that I needed to go. I think tithing that the mormons say is "fire insurance" for when the time comes, is a scam honestly. That pays for their temples. The church can do alot of good things, this I know. They help out if your ever in need of rent or food or bills payed. But only if your in their religion. So they do have some good to them but it still isn't enough to get me to believe in anything you know? Thats just humanity at work there.
    mandi_m

Comment by mandi_m (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Non denominational/Protestant Christian home. Yes my family knows. They're really cool with it. They simply asked why and I explained and that was the end of it. I think the most confusing part for them was whenever I was home for the holidays I would still go to Christmas service with my mom....I would go with her so she wouldn't have to be alone.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I came from a family that used religion as an excuse to put people down and to control them. They are "holiday" Christians
    They don't know shit about what the bible actually says,they just pull out certain sections to use to their advantage

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I guess thats why I'm afraid to tell them, because we are such a close family and I'm worried if I tell them, who are ALL really religious, then they might just snuff me out altogether from the family. I need that relationship from them though because they ARE good people and they help to balance out my life. I can already see what my mom would say, even though she doesn't go to church and she says she's more spiritual than religious. heh heh... yeah... I'm afraid that by telling them I'd be driving a wedge between myself and them and they wouldn't care to have me around.
    mandi_m

Comment by mandi_m (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Awe KristiS11384! Thats really sweet!! Yeah butterflyblue19 thats kinda how I feel my family is. They are good people but they are the negative religious type.
    mandi_m

Comment by mandi_m (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I come from a long line of Protestants on my mom's side, and for a number of years, I was the most religious in my immediate family. My dad was the first to admit he was agnostic, which was unsettling to some family members, but since he wasn't a blood relation and foreign-born, they didn't give him too much grief.

I've never really come out about my lack of faith. My parents think I'm somewhat agnostic (mom thinks it's a phase), but for the most part my extended family assumes I'm as I was raised. I'm fine with their assumptions. I don't live near enough any of them to be invited to church, and I'm fine with just going thru the motions when they say grace at family gatherings.

It's not worth the headache and lectures to fess up. I avoid religious discussions with most people anyway. The subject doesn't interest me, and I don't feel like being criticized for something I feel is a very personal thing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Thats another reason why I haven't come out, it is an uncomfortable topic, and I like to avoid confrontation as much as possible. It makes me sick when I do get into one. And like you I just go through the motions when they say grace at family dinners and I always try and find a way out of going to church if I'm ever invited... Kids are sick, I have another headache, blah blah blah.
    mandi_m

Comment by mandi_m (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Did you come from a religious family? Yes
    Did you tell your family that you were an atheist or agnostic? Some of them yes and others don't know
    How did they take it? The ones I told took it just fine. Only one tried to "save" me, but gave up after a week or so. I don't need to be saved. I'm not in any danger.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2013