Where's the line, then?

Last week I asked another question about my neighbors (linked here). Most of the responses I got were that I was being a nosey bitch and needed to mind my own business.

Ok, fine. Maybe I am being nosey.

So, where's the line between looking out for my kids' safety, and the rest of the kids in this building, and being nosey?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 5:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• When you're raising children in a community that is geographically cramped like an apartment building then you DO have to keep tabs on what's going on. I'm not saying you have to install cameras and go all 007 on your neighbors but when it's clear that something weird is going on, I think it's our responsibility to be aware.

To me, it didn't really sound like you'd gone overboard. The stink alone would irritate me if I still had little kids around me. You don't know where it originates and it's up the the apartment complex to make sure all residents are safe.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I'm not sure why something you posted last week is still upsetting you. Only you can know how you feel about the above issue. If you're concerned, do something about it. If it were happening here, I would. You are entitled to live safely..... why are you even asking here on CM???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Just been thinking about it is all. This is a question I've been meaning to post for several days but didn't get around to it until now.

Overall, it's going to end soon anyway. The managers have told us that those particular neighbors will be out by the end of this month.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• The line is when you want to know every detail that is going on or as my MIL used to say know the color of the under pants I am wearing.
    I do not think you are doing that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• IMO if you're looking out for your children, then keep an eye out for anything that looks like it could affect their safety. As for anything else that's going on, if you think it's suspicious, then take it to the landlord, and leave it with them. If you actually see anything illegal, then call the police.
    I could never live in an apartment building, I would be the most hated tenant there.

Oh and who gives a shite what other people think. You're looking out for innocent children, to me that's not being nosy, that's being a good person that cares about others well being.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• id say move or if you couldn't the line would be in not allowing them over there. And if they are doing anything illegal call the police.

im more of a I didn't see anything type neighbor unless someone is going to cause physical harm to my home or family. Orr harming someone else or course.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Personally, I'd rather be accused of nosiness than apathy. I wish there had been a few nosier neighbors when I was growing up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Two out of ten answerers said you were nosey. That's nowhere near a majority and nowhere near enough to be worried about.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2013