Elliptical or Treadmill? Which is best for a good walking workout?

My blood pressure is high, due to being over weight, not been eating right. My blood pressure has been around 144/88 - 154/90 around that range. Pulse is like in the high 90's -101. I have not been eating right or exercising either, due to just being lazy & sitting in front of computer.
My doctor said I could bring my blood pressure down by eliminating sodium from my diet, and eating right, and exercising such as walking, and lose weight.
I had a Treadmill, but sold it to get a Elliptical. I am now thinking if I still had my Treadmill I could walk on it in the evenings, and workout on the Elliptical in the mornings.
I am thinking about buying another Treadmill to walk on, but don't know if I have to do that or not since I have an Elliptical.
My question is should I buy another Treadmill to get walking benefits, or can I get walking benefits from the Elliptical?
Is working out on the Elliptical as good or better than walking on the Treadmill?
I do know that you can work out for a shorter time and burn more calories on the Elliptical than on the Treadmill, but is working out on the Elliptical considered walking? Can I just work out on the Elliptical & bring my blood pressure down or do I need get another Treadmill and walk on it too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Health

• You could go outside and walk for free.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Both are good workouts. Here's the thing though. You mention that you can work out for a shorter amount of time for the same calories on an elliptical, but that's not really the point. Yes, the calorie burn is good, but the amount of time you're active is really important. You should probably be getting a good 30 minutes of exercise a day. If you can go a solid 30 minutes on the elliptical, you're doing great. If you can't, I would suggest getting another treadmill.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• LOL m-avi. Maybe she lives in hell like I do. I can't go outside until mid-October. Also, the treadmill forces me to keep up a faster pace. When I walk outside, I slow down if I get tired.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• elliptical better for knees , have both like the treadmill. for high BP avoid sodium and take prunes just two

by2013

Answer by by2013 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Do you have a no frills gym or Y nearby? That might help you alternate or try different equipment without spending a ton of money.

I walk outside but if there was a Y nearby I would join it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Do the elliptical. Twice as effective.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• It's so hot outdoors in the summer time. I went to the local park and walked for 30 minutes but almost got too hot. With blood pressure high I don't want to get so hot I get a heat stroke or something. If I walk up a mile on the road I live on, it is up hill incline about half a mile, then half a mile flat, then on the way back it is half mile flat, and the other half mile down hill. Thing is if I walk outdoors, I slow down my walk. I really don't want to spend another $400. or so on a Treadmill, but I will if I need to. Going to the gym is out, I got enough exercise equipment at home, I would rather buy my own stuff & work out at home. I have 2 bedrooms full of stuff. If I can get just as good a workout on my elliptical as on the treadmill or better. If I work out on the elliptical only, is that considered walking? Or is it a even better workout than walking as long as I stay on it for at least 30 mins?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• the one you will USE!

I *H A T E* elipticals. I would MUCH rather spend time on a treadmill ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• The reason I switched from the treadmill to the elliptical was because of pounding of the feet on the floor of the treadmill, it hurt my knees & chins, and my feet, I have heel spur. I like the idea that while I am on the elliptical, my feet are staying in position and not pounding on the floor. The elliptical is more comfortable to me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I love my elliptical and feel like it's a better workout without running on a treadmill. But I have bad knees so running is out.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2013