My little guy just realized...

That we eat pigs...His favorite animals. He is totally sad about it too.

We were watching a show about BBQ. He was sitting next to me and every time they showed the bbq he licked his lips and said, "YUM". Finally they showed a pig on a sign and he figured it out. He got the saddest face and said.."Mom... we...eat...PIGS?" I said yes, he said "But I love pigs, they are my favorite animal!"
He refused to watch the rest of the show. Poor kid is traumatized now.

How do you handle this one? This is my third child and the only one to get upset about this issue. He is five.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 6:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• We go through this a lot with my youngest. He has a really tender heart and loves all animals. He sobbed after he ate turkey one day. He refused to eat fish tacos one day because fish are adorable. I told him that the fish we were eating were really mean and that they were killed in self defense. Then he was fine with eating it. Most of the time, he just doesn't want to think about it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I would let him work out his feeling son the subject and decide what action he wants to take. If he needs to take a break from eating meat for a while- so be it. I would lay down some rules such as: You may not get upset or angry when the rest of the family eats pork/meat, you must eat alternative proteins without complaint and you may change your mind but we are not going to change our mind day to day based on what is on the menu. We will only change on mind based on what is in our hearts and in our heads.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• mine asked (without a show)
    "is this a cow?"
    i said "no, it is beef"
    she has not caught on yet

maybe when he asks, you too can twist the truth (yes, lie)
    for example
    no it is not pig, it is bacon
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• The more I think about it, I have another approach. What if you said "Yes, aren't pigs amazing animals? So noble, feeding millions of people who would otherwise go hungry. Pigs really are wonderful."
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I'm not sure. My 8 yr. old has been seeing us kill our meat since he was about 5. He is ultra curious about it and really helped out a lot the last time DH went to help out on a sheep slaughter. We do talk about energy transfer a lot and how the animal helps us by giving it's life to nourish us.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Well to be honest I am not sure. My kids knew where their food came from from a very early age.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• My sons just turned 5 and they have had some upset feelings about this in the last year. There was one night of realizing that "chicken" is from actual CHICKENS. We have just stayed with their feelings as they are, not really responding beyond being there & showing that we hear them. We've made a few explanations/confirmations I guess, but nothing to try to rationalize or minimize. We were centered about them not needing to be sheltered.
    They've expressed dismay for sure, but I'm not sure if it ever crossed over into BEING a "problem" for them, as in something they didn't want to do anymore (eat meat.) We didn't provide any solutions (such as saying it would be OK if they didn't want to eat meat) & didn't treat the situation like a problem. Just followed their lead & reflected what was coming from them, making space for it.
    Recently, one was enjoying haddock & said he was glad somebody had killed that fish so we could eat it.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I told my Son they were stunt pigs, chickens & cows. They just stand in for the real ones. He accepted that! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• My five-year-old had the same revelation lately about chickens after watching the movie "Chicken Run." I agreed that it was kind of sad and just let her work out her feelings. She went meatless for a few days on principle, but then she got over it. Since most kids don't live on farms anymore, and the only animals they tend to be around are at petting zoos and the like, it can be hard for some of them when they finally connect the dots.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• If any of mine got upset about it, it didn't last long. Their appetite superseded their feelings on this one. Yours probably will too. In the meantime, like someone else said, he may choose to lay off the pork for a while. He'll be OK tho.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2013