how do you discipline your child at home?

yuyu565

Asked by yuyu565 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A little more info would be helpful.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Depends on what I am disciplining them for... We use a lot of natural consequences and positive reinforcement.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• i like to use a fire hose or pet carrier
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• It puts the lotion on or it gets the hose...
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 8:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• It varies. Discipline is both positive and negative reinforcement.
    Situations vary and so do the methods. If you can be more specific, I might be more helpful.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Talk.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• depends on what they did...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Mainly talking, communication. I provide a physical limit if necessary (if a young child is very upset & very impulsive, and needs to be protected from hurting property or persons.) I intercede if kids are being harsh with each other, and have them tell ME their angry, blaming feelings (not their sib.) I also try to facilitate their communication during conflicts. Essentially, modeling what I want to see/hear from them when they are upset, via helping them through.
    Most off-track behavior is a matter of kids feeling disconnected & alienated, so most discipline is about addressing the underlying need that the problem behavior is highlighting ("acting out.") I think this is the most effective form of discipline because it sees problem behaviors as signals that the child needs help, and responds in a way that actually addresses that! So the behaviors resolve without punishment, simply because the issue driving them is resolved.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Wow, that's a broad question. It really depends on the age of the child, what the problem behavior is, what else has been goig on, how often the problem hs occurred, the child's attitude about the problem, etc.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• You first- How do YOU discipline YOUR child at home?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2013