How is your kids school lunch? Why do the schools vary much on quality?

If they are required to follow the same guidelines and get the same funding (when applicable) why is it that one county can have amazing choices while the county next door has crap?

This is my kids school lunch rotation. (pick 1 entree and two side)

this is one county over (where my friend is)- next weeks menu (pick 1 entree and 2 side- This is an improvement from last year where they had zero choices at all you got what you got)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• That type is teeny.
    My kids' lunches are great. I pack them and send them each day.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I think my kids school lunch is pretty good. They always have 3 options for entrees (one vegetarian) and usually 4 sides, you pick 1 entree and 2 sides.
    I'm not sure if some counties supplement the nutrition budget? Some kids have more mouths to feed, more kids on free/reduced lunch? I don't really know.

Answer by missanc at 7:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• It's better here than when we lived in WI The lunches were all individually premade and packaged off site and brought in each day.

But not by much.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• They got a health makeover last year. DS doesn't ask to buy lunch nearly as often anymore as a result. They weren't THAT bad to begin with, compared to the horror stories I've heard from some on here. I still send with him, simply because it's cheaper than having him buy it. It use to be healthier, too, but they're about on par now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• My kids mostly ate the things I made for the. Schools vary in their lunches just as the quality of education varies. It is the difference between a person pulling a pay check and a person who is passionate about what they do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I think some districts can supplement the funding that all schools get. So they're able to provide better quality or more variety than the ones that can't supplement. When my kids were in public school, I sent their lunches the first few years, then they bought lunch the last two. During that two years, I saw a drastic decline in the quality and variety from the first to the second year - and there were major budget cuts across the board for the second year.

I'm really glad my kids aren't in public school to get school lunch now, because they made even more dramatic cuts this year. I'd hate to see what it might have done to school lunches now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• mt child's school does not provide lunch
    everyone brings one from home
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I pack them, so I know they will like what they have, and it's healthy. I don't have a clue what they serve at school, I won't let them eat it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I'm waiting to see what the quality of our school lunches is, since my daughter starts full-day kindergarten next fall. I haven't seen a menu yet. I'm not sure when or where they're published.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2013