Would it be tacky to give my mom a list of my "wants" for Christmas?

A few weeks ago, my mom hosted an online party with a company that primarily sells purses. She told me that if I saw anything that I want, to let her know and she would get it for me for Christmas. I looked and while the purses were cute. I just don't see spending $45 on a purse. I told her thanks but no thanks. She knows that I am not really a purse person. I would rather spend money on outdoor gear than a purse. (unlike my sisters). Today, she called me and told me that she saw Kavu bags 50% off at RAK (an outdoor store). After work I met her there and while I liked the style, I didn't really like the color choices that they had. She told me to go on the Kavu website and pick out a color/pattern that I like. I looked and found a few patterns that I I liked however, I still would rather have outdoor gear than a purse.

This is for Christmas, even though she mentioned that she would go ahead and give it to me now if I picked out one at the store or online. Normally for Christmas, she will ask what type of giftcards we want and she gets those with a few extra surprises. I am really not sure why she is being persistant with me getting a purse. I am thinking that maybe she would like for us to open up gifts this year instead of just doing giftcards. If that is the case, I will gladly give her my list of wants, but is that tacky? How would you handle this situation?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Relationships

• It would not be a gift . If she OK with it then go ahead. to insure you get what you need .
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• We always ask each other for suggestions. Makes more sense (to us) than giving stuff the other person doesn't need.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 9:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Yes I ask for a list just to get ideals and buy what they like.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• We always ask and tell what we want or need- saves me time and headache shopping for people, and saves me from getting things I don't want or need. That reminds me I need to get my mom to start on that- she takes forever to decide what they need/want so I have to start her early lol.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• My extended family have online "wish lists" for one another on a program my brother wrote.

Answer by missanc at 9:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Since she is asking give her a few suggestions and leave it at that. If she wants it to be more specific she will ask
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Tacky, I don't know. But I'm known in my family for being straightforward if someone asks me what I'd like a a gift. I won't offer the information if someone doesn't pose the question, but if asked, I figure I might as well tell what I really need or would like to have. It takes the dilemma out of shopping for another person, which I hate that dilemma myself, and it spares me from getting something I can't use. I know it's a relief at least to some people, and if anybody thinks it's tacky, I've never been told that to my face. Besides, the fallback gifts people tend to give me are usually slippers and nightgowns or warm fuzzy blankets, and I only need so many. I'm not sure if everybody just knows I get cold easily or if they think I'm a lazy sleepyhead.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• My mom asks me every year what I want for Christmas. Sometimes she has her own idea of something that I need or that she just knows I want, but most of the time she asks. And she does that because she wants to be sure I get something I want and will enjoy or use rather than something that I'll smile and say thank you for and then put up in a closet and forget about.

She seems to be asking, so I'd tell her. I'd also be honest, and if you don't want the things she's offering to buy for you, tell her that while you appreciate the thought, it's not something you want or need right now, but that if she really wants to get you something, you could use a ________.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I guess she thinks you need a new purse, LOL! I would say Mom, I appreciate your thoughts, but I really am not that into purses. I don't think you should hand her a list of "wants". I imagine as time gets closer she will ask you what you want for Christmas.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I would just tell her that, while you appreciate her offer, you don't need or want a new purse right now. If she really wants to get you something for Christmas she can get you _____________.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:26 AM on Aug. 9, 2013