Kindergarten

I just got back from Open House at my daughter's new kindergarten. I think times have changed, or I've been out of the public school loop for way too long. When I went to kindergarten in 1976, the room was full of toys. Not so anymore. They're all business now. Reading, writing, math centers, science and social studies projects, art and computers as well as music and gym classes. I was pleased, but a bit surprised.

Have any of you school veterans found this to be true, that kindergarten looks more like first grade used to?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• I went to Kindergarten at the same center I attended daycare from like 2 months old. Memories of the first 5 years of my life pretty much blend together lol.Only thing I remember specifically about my Kindergarten room is those large colorful cardboard blocks because we used to build a wall and play doctor behind it haha. My son will attend K this year but I've yet to see his classroom. His preschool had toys but it also had fun, educational posters on the walls, a reading center, and some computers for learning games.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• When my oldest was starting Kindergarten, we got a list of the things they were supposed to know to start Kindergarten, and I remember thinking that I thought it was all stuff he was supposed to be going to Kindergarten to LEARN. lol It was stuff my mom told me I learned in Kindergarten, and my grandmother said my dad and his siblings learned in Kindergarten. So yeah, it's definitely changed. My son's class did have some games and toys, but it was mostly all educational stuff. They didn't have a lot of free play time, and the teacher would hold them back from free play or recess outside to do schoolwork if the kid struggled or for some other reason didn't get their work done.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Our Kindergarten class had tables where the kids sat and a bookcase with a lot of different types of books and different "stations" around the room for things like reading, art, playing, etc. I think Kindergarten now is more like what 1st grade was like when I went to school.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• actually, my daughter's kindergarten class had a few puzzles and things like that, but it was just a teeny tiny shelf in a room otherwise filled with educational stuff. and really, the puzzles were also educational (cognitive function). im glad it's more business than play now, and im excited to see what her first grade class is going to look like.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Yes, I looked at my K report card and laughed. It said I was good with shapes and colors and useless stuff. It's much more structured, which is a good thing. Kids are capable.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Yeah- when I was in kindergarten we painted and played with blocks. Anymore that is left for pre-school. Even Pre-K here is more business than play.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• I was a sub 15 years ago and it had changed even since when mine went. There were still creative play centers but not much really more in the building type of games and board games that reinforced math principales
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:04 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Kinder is definitely a lot more like first grade. Even 10 years ago when my youngest started kindergarten it was a lot of business, but I know that he had an awesome time.

My youngest is going into 3rd grade this year. Last year the teachers had the kids do small research projects and were writing poetry for a poetry slam. Shocking and awesome at the same time. He loved both assignments.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:05 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• yup! my daughter is stating her 2nd year of college-and I noticed it even when she went to kindergarten!
    I mean they had *some toy stuff...but not like I had remembered it!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Kindergarten is now basically a condensed version of what the first grade curriculum used to be 15-20 years ago... At least here in MA. THatsnwhat we were told during our orientation for both my kids who are now going into 2nd and 4th grades.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 9, 2013