Do you buy organic fruit/veggies?

Why/why not?

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 11:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Food & Drink

• No the whole idea is a joke. People are told organic food are grown without any pesticide which is false. Organic does NOT mean chemical free. It means the chemicals/products they used are naturally occurring. Like Spinosad-the same product used some oral flea controls. There are other products they use as well. Naturally occurring doesn't mean it is healthy for you. Keep in mind...ammonia is 'naturally occurring' but I would not want my food coated in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Once in a while, but not as much as I did when I only had my own mouth to feed. If I have to prioritize what to buy organic, I'd rather spend my money on organic meats, which taste a lot better and have a better texture to me, and hormone-free milk.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• No, we don't have a whole lot of variety when it comes to organic, plus we are skeptical when it comes to things labeled organic. You know tobacco is used as an organic pesticide, so I'm not sure how much better organic actually is.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I buy from the farmer's markets here in Chicago, plus we have a really nice community garden just down the street. I do not buy organics in the grocery store because I'm skeptical that they're truly organic.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Pretty much the dirty dozen fruit & veggies and I have been going to the local organic farmers markets(or PYO) as much as possible this summer
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Yeah, I'm careful about the dirty dozen too and also go to our farmer's markets but they are expensive here. It's a buck a carrot. No joke. I'm rethinking the whole organic thing...except for meat and eggs. I'm not so sure about it any more...
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• No- it is entirety to expensive around here. I mean to the tune of $1.25 per pound potatoes vs. $2.99 per pound or $1 avocado vs. a $2 one. We eat a lot of fresh foods so this would double our bill and we are already budgeting.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Yes, for some of them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• Grocery store- no, unless they're cheaper. I grow my garden organically and the farmers market that I go to is mainly 2 organic farmers (I rarely buy from anyone besides those 2).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2013

• nope. i dont have money to waste on organic nor do i care for the "organic" label that is a joke at most big stores. i buy some local stuff at a cheap farmers market, but that doesnt make it organic (im pretty sure it isnt). you dont have to eat organic to eat healthy...imo its just a marketing ploy if you arent buying it direct from the farmer.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2013