How do I know if I still have a yeast infection?

I had a yeast infection and began treating it Friday night (the night only insertion). I used the "medicine" Friday night and Saturday night. Then I got my period Sunday. I didn't think about the fact that I had just used the "medicine" and inserted a tampon. I used the medicine again Sunday night but the majority of it came out the next morning with a lot of blood (sorry if TMI). I obviously cannot tell what my discharge is like and the itching sensation isn't horrible but is still there. However, when I wear pads during my period, it makes my vagina itch anyway (again sorry if TMI). I've had a lot of yeast infections, I'm just prone to them but have never had one while on my period. The doctor said they can't test me until my period is over but I'm scared the infection will get worse if left untreated. Help please.

hollyann85

Asked by hollyann85 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2013 in Health

• So you didn't finish the original course of medication? If not, see if they can give you an oral treatment instead of a vaginal one.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:05 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• If you started bleeding Sunday, you should be nearly done with your period, so it won't hurt you to wait for your next test with the doctor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Generally there is an obnoxious odor
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I technically finished the treatment (was only for 3 days) but I don't know how effective it was due to my period starting. I didn't go to the doctor, I just knew I had one because I've had so many. I've never had an odor, just discharge (sometimes I have to stick my finger in there to check *sorry if TMI*), and really itchy. But the discharge is usually a dead give away and obviously I can't tell what it's like. So pretty much just wait for my period to be over and go from there?
    hollyann85

Comment by hollyann85 (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Many times having your period will kill the yeast infection on its own, something to do with the changing hormones making your vagina a less hospitable environment for the yeast. For me, diflucan (oral med) has always worked so much better than the OTC products.

Answer by missanc at 1:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• You cannot assume that every infection is from yeast. There are several bacterial infections it could be as well. If you keep getting these,something else is up with your body's balance
    make an appointment as soon as your cycle is over

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I had a bacterial infection once and that SUCKED. I used 2, 3 day OTC yeast infection treatments with in a few days of each other and it did not get better. I headed to the gyn to get an oral med and was informed it was not a yeast infection at all. I was given an antibiotic and it cleared up in a matter of days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Many years ago, I kept getting yeast infections. My gyn advised me to wear nothing but cotton underwear and to limit the wearing of denim. Haven't had but one since I began following his advice.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:35 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Also, if you're having many yeast infections there could be an underlying cause - I would visit the dr, tell them how many I've had and talk to them. There are some conditions that present with multiple yeast infections as a symptom.

Answer by missanc at 10:00 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I've visited the doctor about these reoccurring yeast infections and they said I'm not having them enough to cause concern. I only wear cotton underwear but I tend to get them more when I am sexually active.
    hollyann85

Comment by hollyann85 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2013