How can anyone abandon their children & other family for 30 years?!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/woman-returns-family-believed-she-died-30-years-172643037.html

Her only excuse is that she needed a break after a rough divorce/custody battle. Well, whoopty-friggin-do! This woman missed 30 years of her kids' lives, her grandkid's lives, etc. They may be glad to see her, but I don't think I'd be so welcoming. What about you?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The fact that she let them grieve for her and think she was dead, yeah that would be really hard to forgive. Pretty sure at that point I wouldn't want her back in my life.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• In what world is it OK for fathers to do that?

Answer by gdiamante at 10:03 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Why is it so bad for a mother/women to do that? Fathers/men do it all the time and it is ok!

Maybe in your world, but not in mine. My ex has disappeared, and it's not okay. I've accepted it, but it doesn't mean it's okay.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:36 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Maybe it's like when your kid plays hide and seek until you contemplate calling the cops?
    When you find them, at first you're really happy and then you consider killing the little darling?

Wonder why they didn't file a police report or exhume the body buried in the pot field?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:45 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Deep psychological problems that she didn't know how to treat? I don't know (didn't read the article yet). I would give her a chance to explain herself to me but I don't know that I would be so quick to allow her around my other family members. At least, not if I had any say in that matter.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I don't think it's right for anyone, male or female to do something like that. It's selfish, and should never be forgiven...

My ex husband hasn't seen or talked to any of his children for the past 10 years. He's a horrible human being for hurting his children the way he has. He'll die a lonely man.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I'm sure the article is only glossing over what a mixture of emotions they must be feeling. Sure they can be happy she's alive, but she would practically be a stranger to her own children after this much time. Something is definitely lacking in her character to have waited this long.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:31 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Sometimes we do not have the answer to why we do somethings. It is good the family is not angry and is accepting her back and going to have a fun time together.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• a person (mom or dad) doing this is a sick fucker
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2013