Co-sleeping?

I know what co-sleeping is im just wondering what are the ups and downs of it that you personally have discovered(i have read things on it im looking for personal advice) are there any benefits you discovered? is there anything you didn't like about co-sleeping?

LadyBug190

Asked by LadyBug190 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• Co sleeping with babies, bad idea
    Unless you use separate sleeping thing for baby

It is all over the news, how many babies die when sleeping with an adult
    At least in my city, huge campaign to stop co sleeping

Having infant off to the side in a co sleeper...different story
    Having infant in bed with you and adult pillows, blankets etc...bad idea
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:45 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Sleeping with a baby is so sweet! But I never did it because I didn't want my child to ever have to go through the separation of moving to their own bed at some point. My kids come in and snuggle in the mornings but they all 5 sleep in their own beds.

Answer by missanc at 10:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I have co-slept with all of mine.
    This link is very helpful

What I like is not fully waking up. What I dislike is convincing them to go to their own beds...

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:52 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• There are several definitions. Co-sleeping is most commonly (and mistakenly( defined as baby in the bed with you. That's bed-sharing, which is safer than crib sleeping WHEN DONE PROPERLY. No pillows or blankets, side of bed is not up against a wall, parents are not drunk or medicated. I've yet to see a "co-sleeping death" where at least one of those rules was not broken. And it needs to be noted that the anti-bed sharing campaigns are funded by crib makers, who aren't exactly unbiased.

But co-sleeping is also (and more properly) defined as being in the same room. So a bassinet is co-sleeping. An arm's reach co-sleeper or a side-carred crib is also co-sleeping. Many folks who say they'd never co-sleep have actually done so!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:05 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I did co-sleep with mine. Never had to convince him to sleep in his own bed. He did it when he was ready, all on his own. They all do.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• correct way to co sleep

or  if your bed is large enough..

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:17 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• i had the bassinet at the end of the bed on top of trick/bench that stored blankets
    if had to get out of bed to grab her in middle of night for feedings
    but did not have to walk to other room- so after feeding i was able to place her back in bassinet and two steps away for me to be able to fall back asleep quickly
    i was breast feeding, so veru convenient, i did not wake up fully because i was going to kitchen to make a bottle
    keeping infant close, can help mom fall back asleep quicker
    if you have to walk to kitchen, make bottle, and walk to babies room to feed, your body will be more awake and take longer to go back to sleep
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Drunk mother.
    Sick baby
    Sleep related, though not necessarily related to co-sleeping

While I understand the concern, bed sharing is common throughout the world. The act of placing the infant in another location than the mother is a relatively recent development.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I did not do it bc my friend rolled over on her baby at 6 months and killed him ,so it always made me scared too
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 11:28 AM on Aug. 9, 2013