How to soothe a teething toddler?

My 16 month old little boy has already cut 8 of his front teeth, but now he is cutting a couple molars and it seems to be hurting him way more than the front teeth did. He was up all night last night pulling at his mouth. Our pediatrician said to not use Orajel, and we've tried teething tablets and teething toys frozen and unfrozen.

Any suggestions?

IvyRhiann

Asked by IvyRhiann at 11:09 AM on Aug. 9, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's sad the tablets didn't work
    have you tried popsicles?

or gone old school and rubbed whiskey on the gums?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Try freezing a wash cloth and let him chew on it. My daughter is going threw the same thing right now and she chews on her tooth brush all day or a rubber spoon (of coarse with supervision). I just saw someone put pacifies in ice trays and froze them and made mini popcicles on pacifiers to use on there gums. I heard the tablets and orejel or both dangerous but what isn't now a days :/ You could also try essential oils I read certain oils help with that and is safe. Good luck :)
    octopuss98

Answer by octopuss98 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I have tried popsicles, he just hates anything cold? I've heard about the whiskey on the gums, but haven't tried it.
    IvyRhiann

Comment by IvyRhiann (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• The wash cloth idea just might work, he loves chewing on fabric! We weened him away from pacifiers already, so I think that sounds great, but I'm afraid we would have to ween him again? Thanks for your advice!
    IvyRhiann

Comment by IvyRhiann (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Have you tried those mesh teethers you can get in the stores? You open them and put ice inside, or small bits of cool fruit. Ice worked the best for my daughter and didn't leave a sticky mess everywhere.

What's dangerous about Oragel? I'm not arguing, just curious, because five years ago it was considered okay and my daughter got it virtually every day for most of one summer. There's even an ad for the tablets right here on CM.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2013