Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I distance myself from my parents because at times it feels like they are trying to take my kids from me?

I am a single mother of 3 boys. I work 12 hours shifts a day full time. It seems the only person who can keep my boys is my mother. She is verbally abusive and threatens me with my kids. It is mentally draining and I am unable to make rational decisions because of it. I'm lost. Please give me advice.

Answer Question

Asked by amzynaz at 11:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • Contact your local DHS and apply for child care
    Then set boundaries with the woman.
    i.e. "If you are going to talk to me like that, then I will (leave, hang-up)" and follow through every single time.

    Answer by feralxat at 11:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • Who watches your children? I am betting your mother, right? If so, you need to get a babysitter and THEN distance yourself. There are way too many things left out of this post to make any kind of decision.

    Answer by m-avi at 11:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • Why do you think your parents are trying to take your kids?

    Answer by DJDNY at 11:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • Why is your Mother the only one who can keep your 3 boys?

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • Need more information if we're going to be able to help. Why is your mother the only one who can keep them? Where is their father? How old are your children? Do you live with your parents? Has your mother always been abusive?

    I'd start by going to my local women's shelter and asking them for advice.

    Answer by goldpandora at 12:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • My oldest son's father got murdered and all his family live in Detroit. My other son's father basically disappered. I have him on child support. and I have even went as far as taking this to the District Attorney but I can't seem to get any help. I was taken off the childcare program because I make too much money. She only watches them for 2 hours before I get off of work. My children are 11, 9, 4... I live by myself. I am trying.. i'm doing my best. I don't date or have any friends my life is work and home.

    Comment by amzynaz (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • if you work 12 hour days and mom only watches them for two hours- where are they for the other ten?

    Answer by feralxat at 1:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • Well don't engage with her, period. If she is verbally abusive to your children, you need to find a high school student or someone to take care of them, I assume you get SSI for the older boy, and next year when the 4 year old is in school look into aftercare programs. Where are the parents of the deadbeat father? Do they not want to know their grandkids?

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • They are at school and then they catch the bus to the boys abd girls club. only the two oldest.. which are 11 and 9. My 4 year old is in pre-k. which stays open until 5:30pm.

    Comment by amzynaz (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

  • The other grandparents are no where around.

    Comment by amzynaz (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.