Random acts of kindness

Do you have one?
long story short,in 1988,my mom decided to move us to WA State with no idea of how we would survive. In September of that same year,she decided that we were coming back to WI,and we hopped on the Greyhound for a 4 day trip.My aunt and her 3 year old daughter were along as well.
When we reached Montana,and had a 3 hour layover,i asked my mom if we could get something to eat. I had no idea all she brought along was $20 (who takes off on a 4 day trip with $20??) After she had bought herself some cigarettes,all she had left was $2. I started to cry,and seeing me cry,my cousin started to cry as well. We still had 1 1/2 days left on our trip.Our moms got mad at us and started to yell.
A man overheard our conversation,and told us to follow him into the restaurant,where he bought us all lunch,and made sure we ate til we were full. When we were done,he handed my mom $50 and told her to make sure we ate on our trip. He told her he didn't know why we were in this predicament,but not eating was not an option. When my mom asked for his address to pay him back,he told her to not worry about it,and to make sure to be safe.

Do you have a story? Have a favorite you've heard?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• I have one from the other day- happened to my folks.
    They drove in to take care of grandma (their twice weekly trip) and returned to discover a neighbor chopped all their wood for the winter
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Just yesterday actually.

I made dinner before taekwondo class, but didn't have the ingredients we needed for the sauce. Hubby took too long borrowing them from a neighbor so we couldn't eat before class. My 6 year old was hungry after class and I didn't have any spare change for the snacks the athletic club sells (we don't have our own space, we rent/lease from the athletic club). A nice grampa type guy bought her a little bag of goldfish.

I didn't mind at all. I thought it was nice of him. HE thought I was going yell or something. I appreciated the kind gesture.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• we had just moved from ohio to indy and were living with my sister. hubby had a job i didn't at the time. he got fed up with being in the over crowded trailer so we put our three kids in the van and just drove. we got a red-light and were talking about stopping in at walmart to get some subs to eat when i heard someone knocking on my window (i was driving) a lady was on the other side trying to get me to roll down the window. as i did she slipped a $20 through the crack and said: "The lord says to have lunch on me!" and then she was gone. the light turned green and the woman drove past us.

never saw her again, but we did just what she told us to. we went to taco bell for lunch.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• 18 dollars in cigarettes from 1988? She had to have bought like 10 packs! That's ridiculous.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I have nothing to add, ladies. However, I DO want to say thank you for giving me a hearty dose of the warm fuzzies! :)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• every dec around xmas I pay for the person's in front of me stuff.
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 4:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Wow, your mom really was a piece of work! Starting out on a trip with $20, two kids, and buying cigs at all ... *Shaking my head.*

My ex and I really struggled after he got sick, in the years before his Disability went through. He was using a manual wheelchair at the time, so we would go out and pick up produce, mostly cucumbers and potatoes, that fell off the farm trucks at this place where there was a sharp curve in the road. I couldn't see where the veggies were, so I'd push the wheelchair, and he'd tell me when to stop and pick them up so I could put them in a cardboard box he held in his lap. There was one time this guy stopped. He said he was an obstetrician, and he gave us two twenty dollar bills and told us to go to the supermarket and get groceries. I'll never forget that, and how it felt to walk into the store with money and just be so overwhelmed with the gratitude of being able to pick out what we needed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• No Staci,we had eaten the day before

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2013