First time kindergartener

My daughter is starting school on the 14th and I'm excited.. she's growing up. Any advice or other info? Also, being a pta member, is it mandatory to be at every meeting/event etc? I would like to be in pta but I also work. What do you make for lunch for your children... I can only think of sandwiches haha. Do I have to buy all these school supplies or do you think it will be provided.. I do plan on taking her to school with a backpack and pencils.. Not sure what else.

aztecqueen22

Asked by aztecqueen22 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You should get a list of school supplies that you need to buy. Lunches can be just about anything, go with what she likes. I don't think you have to be at EVERY meeting or event but you should try to go to as many as possible if you really want to be a part of it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Go onto the Schools website. They will have a list of supplies required for each grade. They will mail you a list too but it may be 3 days before school starts. I am not a PTA member. I make my Son rolled up salami, turkey, roast beef & cheese. I add in cherry tomatoes or olives. I make small wraps or sandwiches. I send him in with two water bottles. On in his lunch bag & one for his table in class. Then they eat a snack in school too so I'll give him goldfish, pretzels, fruit snacks etc. We had to buy lots of supplies for kindergarten like boxes of wipes, crayons, markers, glue, pencils, erasers etc. This year for first grade the list is 32 items!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I got a mile-long list of school supplies I need to buy off theWeb site and also by signing up for e-mails from the school, which I did in the office. If your child is going to half-day kindergarten, lunch isn't usually provided. Mine's going to an all-day class, but I can't seem to find a menu online to know whether I should pay for hot lunches or send my own. What I would do, just so you're in the loop, is call the office and find out if you're on the e-mail list or the snail mail list so you can be sure you are getting all relevant communications from the school. Good luck, Mom!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• truthfully, the only thing the teachers ever took out of my kids' bags were the extra tissues, the hand sanitizer and the storage bags. everything else came right back home with them. so that's all i'm sending with them. they go back on weds too.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Unfortunately the school website is not updated. They don't have school supplies list either. My daughter loves her pepperoni and olives.. I will def have one of her lunches be meat cheese and olives.
    aztecqueen22

Comment by aztecqueen22 (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Good luck tomorrow!!! How exciting!
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 8:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• For lunches:
    fruit cups, raisins, yogurt, crackers and cheese, grapes, bananas, peanuts, celery, carrots sticks, oranges, apples, pretzels, pimento cheese, lunchables (occasionally)... goldfish snacks, wheat thinns, chicken salad, pickles ... just get creative.

Recheck your class list tonight before it gets too late... ; )
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 8:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2013

• My son is starting kindergtan next month, my son will be bringing a snack because he is only going half day and he will probley bring something heathy to eat. So for PTA member you don't have to go to every meeting but you can look on your school website or ask the school how to get in touch with someone from the PTA to explain a little more to you.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2013