Worried about kindergarten!

I'm sending my baby off to kindergarten in a week. She's excited, but I'm really anxious. (Not letting her know that, of course.) Most of my concern comes from the fact that I looked at the list of what kids are supposed to know before they enter kindergarten, and my daughter is lagging on a lot of this stuff. She can recognize letters and numbers, shapes, colors, etc. But she isn't reading sight words, or even souning out words by the letters. She can write most letters when she wants to, but she's supposed to know about capital letters at the beginning of sentences and punctuation at the end, writing down ideas--yeah, sure. In fact, she's resisted learning to read for some reason I can't even begin to fathom. She knows the letters, but if you ask her to put them together into words--unless there's an immediate reason for her to do so like she wants the jug of soap bubbles an has to identify it--she'll say she doesn't know how to spell yet and get upset if you push her. She likes being read to and telling stories out loud. She can count to twenty-nine, not to a hundred like the list says.

She's really bright, has a good speaking vocabulary, fine social skills with other kids and following directions, stuff like that. We've always read to her, taken her on outings to the zoo, done crafts and science type activities at home, exposed her to as many new experiences as we could, so I thought we were preparing her well. I wasn't too worried till I read this list, but now I'm kind of freaking out because if all the other kids know this stuff, she's not going to start out on a very good footing. My boyfriend says not to worry about it, a lot of kids probably don't know everything on that paper--but he tends to take laissez-faire to extremes. Is my little girl going to be completely out of her depth? What can I do at this late moment? I'm feeling like the worst mom in the history of mom-hood right now.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you are worrying too much
    they are there to teach the kiddies this stuff
    other kids will not know how to read sight words etc

mine is going into 1st, the youngest in class and has autism
    she gets special help
    AND last year in 2nd year of kindergarten started to read- she is behind but as long as she is learning at a little faster rate than the other kids, she will be fine- or i hold her back

her IEP for preschool, main points were to have only one meltdown in 2.5 hours vs the 4-5 she was having and to say 4 words in a row- and she is reading level 2 books- they WANT them to be at level 4. and she is reading at 6. yours will be fine too. agree with others kindergarten is to learn social aspect, follow directions and to learn that learning is fun

i will shoot you an email on some reading tips i got from her reading specialist (also supplied through the public school)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Didn't they test her? All kindergartens we have been to require placement testing, call & ask about it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• OK, take a breath. Do NOT worry! She'll be fine. There may be one or two kids in her class that are familiar with those things but MOST of the kids are just like your Daughter & even know less than her. Look at it this way, it will be interesting for her learning new things instead of having to sit through what she already knows & be bored. Then as the year goes on she'll get lots of Homework & then you'll know what she is strong or weak in. I bet she will surprise you!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I would not want my child considered at risk because of my disability, like Prissy said, I would fight that!
    What a label to be given at such a young age :(
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Oh Ballad, she is going to do just fine, so many parents brag about their kid being able to read, blah blah, she is smart, and they will let you know what the determine from the test on Monday, but in my son's kindergarten class, you were above average if you could do all of the things your daughter can already
    Don't stress mamma, she will do amazing!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• " I think it was designed for at-risk kids, and they considered my daughter at-risk because of my disability"

I'd really be fighting that designation
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• It may have changed now but back when I was raising my children an "at risk" designation followed them around.

Further, I'm sure you don't want to lend weight to that stereotype. You speak here often about how being without sight doesn't affect your ability to raise your child so she isn't, in fact, at risk.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Ballad, never allow them to label your daughter as "at risk" This will follow her through school and she'll be labeled early on and this WILL affect her in her teen years. No child wants to be labeled because of their parents disability!
    My epilepsy did not nor did it ever label who my children were. I wouldn't stand for it!
    I wanted my boys to start off as who THEY were, not WHO I am.

PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• is this a list of what they should ALREADY know?
    or is it the stuff they WILL know at the end of the year?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• "or is it the stuff they WILL know at the end of the year?"

That was my initial thought, as well
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2013