Oh my goodness, IDK what to do?

Please help, I have been getting a life insurance premium that is being paid by someone else, I got a notice that the payee had passed away. So here is the deal the name of the payee is similar to my husbands.
I called they said is your name Jane Doe, yes, what is your Birthdate, gave them my birthdate, last 4 of your social, its a match.
I feel really funny about this.
I said I don't know the person who has been paying this, how would they get my SS# and address? She said that I could cash it out or continue to pay it? So 2 things, how is it possible that someone would have life insurance on me, that is only a different middle name than my husbands, and if it were a mistake how would they have my correct SS # and DOB?

I had called them prior when I recieved statements, they said that the payee had told them to continue to mail to my address? I feel very weird at the moment.
They are sending me a 35,000 check.
It is a legite company, weird, and strange right?

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think it's time for you to have a consultation with an attorney. Just to make sure you are protected once you cash the check. They say not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'd be taking this horse to the dentist! GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Put the money away for college. If anything comes up, then you will have it to give back. If it is yours then you or you kids will have a small chunk of college paid for.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• That is so odd. I mean, I really have absolutely no idea how to even direct you on this but I hope someone else can help.

How long has this person been paying on it? Is your husband's name unusual? I mean, could it be a relative that wanted to make sure he and his family were cared for after the person's death?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Do they have life insurance on you or are you listed as a beneficiary?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• If it were me and I hadn't done it in a while I would pull my credit to see if there were any accounts open on your SS# and name, same with your husband. Strange that it would be his name and your SS# (if I read that right).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I said that because if someone looks into this and finds out that you were not supose to really get that money. You will have to pay it back.
    Me I would call the company back and more questions. Because I would not want to get in trouble for taking money I really was not supose to have. It sound fishy to me.

Answer by louise2 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Oh I hope it's legit. That would be fantastic.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• PS, husband is very much alive, last time I spoke to him, a couple of hours ago, LOL!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• 1989. is when the policy was taken out, no my husband's name is not that strange, but the deal is how did they have my SS# and my home address, when the policy was taken out, I was about 20, and not even married to my husband, they had my maiden name as well. I didn't argue with the woman on the phone, but the whole thing seems very strange, I just went on the website and entered in my info, it said that a check in full had been cut to me? I know that I will pay capitol gains tax on it, but IDK what else to do?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• it was about $10 per month that they had been paying, I can't grasp it really, I am worried that this is meant for someone other than me, but surely if they had my SS#? Crazy!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2013