A bit of a dilemma...

so my 6 year old really wants her friend to sleepover, and i dont have a problem with it except for the fact that at the start of summer, she was continually getting lice from this family. they have 5, 4 are girls and she's a single mom so i know personally how difficult it is to get rid of those suckers but we've been lucky enough to have a lice-free spell for the last 4 weeks or so. and, school is starting in a couple of weeks so it's the last thing i need. i have no real way of knowing whether or not her friend has it unless i a.) ask or b.) check myself... obviously both would be very rude. so should i just not allow the girl to sleepover? would you?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• That is a tough one.. not really "fair" that the kids can't have fun because of something that's not their fault.. on the other hand, you want to protect your family.

maybe initiate "hair makeover" fun right at the start.. wash hair good, comb it out with a nit comb, and then braid both girls hair.. you can get a good look at her head this way and see if she has lice or not, and maybe help remove some of them this way.
    nekkiddoglady

Answer by nekkiddoglady at 6:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• my brother told me about this shampoo that stops people from getting lice. he said it works, and because i know the school his daughter is in, i know it works too without using it. i don't remember the name of it, but walgreens has it there. i bought it by mistake one time. now i need to go and get a bottle for real. the school my daughters go to is really bad with it.
    soon as you get it and use it then i would say yes. just make sure you toss everything she slept on in the washer. and get that spray for the couch and chair just to be on the safe side.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• This is a tough one. Would your daughter be happy with a play date, like at a park instead?
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 6:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• All I know is now my head itches! Thanks a lot!!!

Well, since you said yes, I'd be checking them while they're outside before they even came inside to settle in. Could you just casually ask the mom what she did to finally get rid of them. (to compare notes) Best of luck. Hopefully she doesn't have it any more & you can relax & the girls can have fun. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• If you got lice from those kids in the past. why didn't you tell the mom? I wouldn't have them over at all.

Answer by louise2 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• the mom knows
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• tell her to jump in the shower when she gets there, and give her a lice shampoo/cond treatment? Ask the mom if it is okay?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• IF i allowed her to sleepover, i was going to lay blankets down in the living room (we do this friday nights anyway) that way i wouldnt have to treat the beds and i'd just wash everything in the morning.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Honestly, If they are gonna play together -the chance of it spreading to yours is there anyway...but I dunno man- lice are a BITCH to get rid of. I'm not sure I'd willingly go for the sleepover thing...

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• i said yes, oh man what did i get myself into? im going to do what nekkid suggested though and do their hair and if i find anything im sending her little butt home lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2013