How to get my spanish speaker 1.5 year old daughter to understand english?

We are moving from Chile, South America to the US... Many friends and her pediatrician said she will be ok with the lenguage issue... and that she even might forget how to speak spanish (that is if we don´t talk to her in spanish no more). I´m always trying to talk to her in both english a spanish... although she hasn´t start "speaking" yet... just "Mama" (for mommy), "tete" (binky), "tata" (grandparents), "Papa" (daddy), and "mas" (asking for "more")
So... anyone has a "bilingual" toddler who can help?
Thanks!

PilyFernandez

Asked by PilyFernandez at 6:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i worked in daycare and we had a lot of bilingual kids. many of them came in speaking little to no english at all, and in a matter of months they were fluent. what we did was speak to them in both languages. we would say it first in their native tongue and then the same thing in english. for instance show her a cup, say cup in spanish and english. she will get it very easily! its amazing how great kids are with adapting!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My first language was spanish. I didnt start speaking english until I went to preschool and was born in CA. She will be fine. I dont really remember anything about speaking spanish but I know I did because everyone jokes with me now about how I dont know how to speak it but was fluent. Just speakto her in english, and have her watch TV shows in english and if you can still have her speak some spanish. Its something I wish I hadnt lost.

Answer by gemgem at 6:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I do not speak mulitple languages but wish I could. I dont know if Dora and Diego will help or not but they are both in english and spanish. I also think having her watch other educational toddler programs that are in English is a good idea.
    sew4fun

Answer by sew4fun at 7:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I used to be bilingual in English and German. When we moved to the states I lost all of my German because my parents wouldn't speak it to me.

One thing a lot of my bilingual friends have told me is that when they were young one parent always spoke one language and the other parent always spoke the other. As they got older the family favored one language over another but they would sometimes slip in to the "other" language to keep everyone on their toes.

Being bilingual is very beneficial in this day and age. I wish I hadn't have lost most of mine! Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Don't let your child lose the Spanish language. Research shows that children who have more than one language are better prepared for language development. Research also suggests that you should speak to your child in one language (at least most of the time) and let your partner speak to them in the other language. This way the child (especially very young child) will have less confusion between the languages. All I can say is don't stop either language! In our world today it is a critical skill that many of us do not have!
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 8:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009