Family scents

My son's friend grabbed a Tshirt the other day while we were out, sniffed it, and said, "Yep, it smells like your house!" Now, we all know that each house seems to have a smell to it. I live in a house built in 1969...it smells old to me (but not musty or mildewy). Does anyone have any tips on how to get that smell out of your house? Or change the smell on your clothes, besides over-doing the laundry detergent? We mostly use "unscented" detergent anyway due to sensitive skin.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Why did you assume that the comment was negative?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Scented candles. Open your window more. Paint the inside of the house. If you have wall to wall carpet. Change it.

Answer by louise2 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• We all smell different.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I agree with opening the windows more to air it out.
    Burning incense.
    Home improvement stores may have some products or better advice.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I don't think the remark was necessarily negative at all. People just have certain scents, and houses do as well. I opened a box not long ago to show my daughter some things given to me by my 93-year-old grandma after she moved into assisted living, and as soon as I opened the box, the scent took me back and it was like I was right there with her. It was unmistakable. It's one thing if someone's house smells like dog crap or some other unsavory odor, but otherwise, it's just a personal scent. There have been studies done showing that parents can identify their babies' clothing by smell when their eyes are closed and someone holds up clothes from several different infants in front of their noses.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:11 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I agree I don't think it was a negative comment. I think a big part of the "smell" of a house comes from the chemistry of the bodies that live in it, and there's really no changing that lol. Short of remodeling your house, changing laundry detergents and cleaners, and using air fresheners like candles or those plug ins I'm not sure what you can really do.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I figure no matter what it smells like, if it's clean, then it shouldn't smell bad.... So I just keep my house clean, and don't worry about it...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• LOL, ladies, I didn't say I thought the comment was negative!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I agree with all of you; each person does have their own scent. A scent of a home/person isn't necessarily negative. I'm aware we have a scent here. My house is clean, it just smells old. Since *I* personally don't care for the old smell, I was wondering if there was a natural remedy that helped. I figured short of buying a newly built house, or changing the carpet and repainting, we'd just have to live with it. We can't afford to recarpet (this old home has one carpet throughout, it isn't purdy, haha) and repainting is near impossible due to wood paneling (w/o sheetrock, don't get me started!)...I was hoping there was a solution like vacuum w/ baking powder or something. We do keep the windows open mostly....but when we are gone for the weekend and come home, it smells like the day we bought it. *sigh*
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

Well, you kinda did. You could have left that whole thing about him saying it out, and just asked about getting rid of the old smell. By including that comment, you implied that you took it as a negative.

As for getting rid of the old smell in your house, I don't really have much advice. Lots of open windows and doors, plug in air fresheners, incense, potpourri, stuff like that to try to cover and eventually overpower the smell. If you have central a/c and heat, you could try putting a dryer sheet or something else that has a decent scent in the return with the filter and it might send the scent through the whole house when the vents come on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:11 AM on Aug. 10, 2013