Lamest terms?

got a call from my obgy today telling me to consider a hysterectomy.. for the past few years ive had problems with my woman parts.. this is my second opinion, i dont know i am feeling sad... i guess well i was talking to my DH about it and he acts like its nothing, maybe he doesn't understand what a big deal this is.. how would you explain to your husband?

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2013 in Health

• Laymen's terms.

A lot of our feelings of womanhood come from our ability to bear children, even if we don't want to bear children. (Also, this is just my opinion....nothing more) I had to have a hysterectomy when I was 28 and even though I knew I was done having babies, it was still a sad time for me. I don't know that you can get that across to him in a way he can truly understand
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• thanks i wasn't sure how it was spelled.

we were ttc for 3 years, so i did want one more child.. but apparently thats not happening.. so i dont know... and i figured their was no way of making him understand since he's not a woman..
    mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• He can be empathetic, but he can't really understand what it's like, sadly. But, I can tell you that you'll eventually love the idea :) I got used to it pretty quickly and it was nice to not have to deal with a period. If they can save your ovaries, that would be best. They were able to save one of mine and it made a big difference as I went through menopause
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Tell him to put his balls on the table while you're holding a meat cleaver. If that won't get his attention, then nothing will. lol :p

Seriously tho, I'd take the advice of the women who've been thru it. They know best. GL to you. *hugs*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• Were you wanting any more children? I am not sure how old you are but you are young for "the change" I think.
    The change did not affect me as strongly as it does some and DH sometimes I am sexier now. There are plusses to not having all of that. You don't have periods to deal with and you do not have to worry about an unwanted pregnancy. You do not lose you function or you libido. or you do not have to. If you are not sure get a third opinion and make them explain why this treatment rather than a different one.
    You might talk to him about having his balls removed or having a vasectomy and an appendectomy at the same time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I would do it in a hot second so I wouldn't have to put up with periods anymore! SO SO SO sick of them
    *but I've been done having kids for 17 yrs so...yeah

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Tell your husband he doesn't have to understand why you feel the way you feel. You're sad, and that's all he needs to know to support you. He can't fix it, he can't change it, you don't expect him to; you just want support as you step through the grieving process.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2013