How do i get my daughter to go to bed early and in her own bed shes almost five

ariellazoe

Asked by ariellazoe at 12:12 AM on Aug. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Set a time, have a routine (bath, snack, brush teeth, 2 books, tuck in), allow for wiggle time. Put her in her bed and tell her to stay there, if she gets up you out her back, repeat.

Answer by missanc at 12:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Take her in her room, tuck her in, give her a kiss, and say good night. Turn the light off and walk out. Do this all night if need be, until she realizes you're the parent, and what you say goes. It's going to be a long night, but you created the problem, now you have to fix it.
    JMO.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• If she's not had a bed time and has been sleeping in your bed for 5 years its going to be very difficult. Not trying to toot my own horn but I am so so so glad we started this habit early with my son, he rarely gives us problems at bedtime. The advice the others gave is the best I have.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• IDK.... We've always had a set bed time and have put the kids to bed in their own rooms.... Best way to fix this one is to never let it become a habit!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Not trying to toot my own horn but I am so so so glad we started this habit early ...

Me too! My daughter, who is five, has had the same bedtime routine for most of her life. Asthma inhaler and gummy multivitamin, hug and kiss from Mom, upstairs with Dad to brush teeth, get a last drink, hear a story, and be tucked in. Music on, night-light on, that's it. I can't even imagine trying to get that all in place now, with how stubborn five-year-olds seem to be, if mine is any example.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Did you ever watch Super Nanny? As corny as it is, I used to watch that show when I was a teen because the way those kids acted amazed me, so I used the Nanny's techniques for putting them to bed. A routine like brush teeth read a book tuck them in and good night. The first time they get up you say "Ariel it's time for bed, please don't get out again" And lead her back to her room and tuck her in. The next time you don't say a word just lead them back to their room and put in bed on and on. I think with my DS the longest this fight ever took was 30 minutes. We started at 3 when he went from a crib to a toddler bed, but it's the same principle it will work, just DO NOT Talk to them after that firs time of leading them back to bed because you do NOT want to encourage conversation, no getting water, no more potty trips, that's all Before bed.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• say it and mean it...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2013