Does anyone have a better idea?

My daughter bikes to work and then I pick her up with my car if it's too late. I have been allowing her to put her bike in the hatchback and folding down the back seats. Tonight when I picked her up and she was putting her bike in my car, it slipped and hit the bumper, putting a crack in it.

It's not THAT big of a deal as I realize it was an accident and accidents happen. However, I'm still paying this car off and it's the nicest car I've ever owned. She knows I'm bummed about it but I didn't yell at her. I pointed it out to her and then said we are going to have to come up with something different.

Ideas?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 12:26 AM on Aug. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• A bike rack. I've seen them cheap on Craigslist and free on freecycle.

Answer by missanc at 12:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• bike rack on back of car?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• How old is your daughter? Can she ride the bus? How late is too late?

I had no idea a bumper would get a crack in it just from a bike being banged into it. Is the crack in the paint or the whole bumper?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Do you have insurance? You can say your car got hit by a bike.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Or buy her lights for her bike and anything else she needs(some reflective clothing etc).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Cracked bumper? I had some one rear end me. Bumper was only scratched. Cost $800 to fix. Of course I didn't have to fix it she did.

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Does she have a coworker she can catch a ride with? Maybe carpool (you being part of that until she gets her license)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• She is 17. I guess she could ride the bus. Anything after 10 is too late. Especially since I don't think she has a light on her bike.

I'm hoping the crack is just in the paint, but I have a feeling it's also in the bumper.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I do have insurance but I don't think the damage is more than my deductible. I'm not as worried about the damage (I will likely have my mechanic fix it just so it doesn't get any worse) but I just need a better solution.

So, thanks to luvmygrandgirl5 and missanc, I will tell my daughter that she needs to either buy a bike rack or take the bus.
    I didn't find any on craigslist that were cheap but I did find one at walmart that is less than 50 bucks.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Aug. 10, 2013