My 4 year old has diarrhea for the first time. Is there anything I can do for her?

She started having diarrhea yesterday and cannot make it to the bathroom in time so she's going all over herself and she's very upset. She had it twice yesterday and so far once today and it seems to happen shortly after eating.

What should I be feeding her? Should she maintain her normal diet or should I be eliminating certain foods? She's drinking water, should I get some pedialyte too?

I believe the diarrhea is due to a virus because I had it, my husband had it and a few children at her preschool have had it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• B-Bread
    R-Rice
    A-apple sauce
    T-Toast
    T-tea
    Y-yogurt (with live cultures)

Diet. I also give oral pro-biotic chews when my kids have a stomach bug.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Water is fine
    I've found that it doesn't make a difference what they eat while they have a stomach virus. If it's coming out,anything will come out
    Get her on a probiotic to replenish the lost good gut bacteria. Acidophilis is in the vitamin aisle. They are easily crushed and can be added to juice and administered with a medicine spoon/syringe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I wouldn't worry about Pedialite if she's still drinking water. If she stops keeping water down, Pedialite in small amounts, or in the Popsicles, will help her not to get dehydrated. I hope she feels better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2013