Should I move? putting it all out here public humiliation style

I bring in $1610 every single month from disability (I am considered mid-level disabled and will re-evaluated in 3-5 years depending on how backed up the social security administration is)

Two other incomes are child support when he chooses to pay it, $89 e/o Friday and my part time job allows my kids to attend an amaaaaaaaaaaazing pre-k program at a reduced rate brings in about $75 a week extra. This is a net amount of around 2100 because my take home from the kids center varies a bit.

My rent is all inclusive, which I love. Heat, rent, utilities, cable, power, water, etc. I get free dial up internet, I'd prefer to pay extra for high speed but could not find it in the budget. It's $1000 even, flat rate and I have my own private washer drier in unit and to me it's awesome but people are horrified I am paying 50% of my income on home. thoughts, please? oh, is 3 bedroom plus office which is a small room w/ cute french doors I put the kids playdoh stuff, lego stuff and other big items in there like a neat play room. 1 full bathroom plus a 1/2 bath. no yard and no basement or garage but my own parking spot the owner made special for my handicapped sticker

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think since all utilities are included, and taking it's size/amenities into consideration, it sounds reasonable depending on where you live.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• And if you love it and are able to otherwise take care of your family, I wouldn't care what others think.
    Kword

• Have you looked into other places to see how much rent is? Also look into utilities, cable, water, etc. If you move and rent does not include these things, you could wind up paying more than you do now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• sounds like a decent deal if you ask me!
    I'd stay there if you can
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• If you are happy and can handle it financially why worry about other people.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 2:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• To me it makes no sense to move in your case, especially simply to appease other people who have nothing to do with where you live.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Consider for a moment whether you would be saving anything by moving. Utilities can add up quickly, especially in the hottest and coldest parts of the seasons. If a different apartment or house would cost more with rent and utilities then there seems to be no real savings to move to a different place. Normally people will budget 1/4 to 1/3 of their monthly income on their mortgage/rent. If you took 1/3 that would be 700, then add utilities and depending on what kind of usage your household uses, you could easily be paying the same amount somewhere else. I might be worth keeping it in mind for the future without a huge need to make a move right now if it is financially working for you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• It sounds to me like you're in a good spot for now. You may have to reevaluate your situation if your Disability is reduced or revoked, but for now, depending on where you live, I doubt if you'll do much better by moving.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• Depends on where you live. But all exclusive.

Answer by louise2 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2013

• I pay about half of my income on rent, too. For where we live the only other option to make it cheaper would be to live in the car. Stay put, it sounds like a pretty great deal to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2013